Double-wide combo of mobile and modular

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JD wrote:Your leveling strategy sounds real good to me. As all your piers scoot over you may need to add one more pier per beam to the end you begin on. Also, I believe the corner piers should be double blocked. We use steel adjustable piers so I am not totally up on my concrete blocking info. You can check the level of the wood side and if it seems to be within reason, leaving it alone is an excellent strategy.

We use three 20ton bottle jacks and a tube level. Also, I don't know if waiting a long time between movements will really make much difference. We will often lift parts of homes 2+ inches when leveling.

JMO

JD
I really appreciate the advice.

Is this the kind of steel adjustable piers you use?

Regarding 2+ inches of lift at a time, I estimate I need to go at least 4 :shock:
JD
Site Admin

Yes, those are the piers for a standard set in our area. The seismic/permanent foundation piers are much beefier and different in design. Those piers usually go on the 12x24 pressure treated wood pads. The pads are not of standard pressure treat wood like in a 2x12 from the home store. They are made of Yellow Pine and will have a stamped approval for use on them. When installing the adjustable piers, you may need some extras that are slightly taller. The exposed thread measurement from the nut to the saddle (the part that holds the beam) should be no more than 2". Here in California, we require all locking saddles, where there is a metal bracket and bolt that clamps onto the beam. There are different types of locking saddles, depending on the type of beam you have. We also have to bolt the steel pier base to the wood pad.

Going 4 inches is a lot. Be careful and always use plenty of support. Never let any part of your body lay under a beam. While you should make the move a little at a time on the entire length of frame, I still don't know if giving time for the home to settle will make much difference. After moving a couple inches, you may want to check the floor marriage joint from underneath and the interior marriage joints. Lifting the left side that far is bound to effect the right side to some degree. Again, be very careful and watch what you are doing.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

Well I did it 8)

I lifted the entire left side. Lets call it "adjusting" instead of leveling at the moment, since I really can't say that everything is level (but man it feels so much better inside 8).

Funny thing is the porch on the right side got all screwed up, so I had to lower its right side to get the doors to close :roll:

Quite an adventure over three days.

Think there was any concern with this pier? (I kid you not, thats how it was sitting):

New pier in front of this one, prior to jacking:

Ahhh, a 30 ton bottle jack (one of two I used along the side, plus two other smaller ones at the ends):

A survey of the jobsite:

What, no comments?

Have I shocked you all into speechlessness? :lol: