Foam Board Ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

texan1

Hello again all.We are going to do a complete ceiling replacement and re-wire on our sw and my idea is to install 1/2"foamboard on ceiling rafters and install the lightweight tin ceiling panels over the foamboard.This seems to me to be a way of getting extra insulation and also keeping the weight low.What are some issues(if any)on this idea?I am sure someone has already tried this but maybe not.We may choose to install the foam tiles rather than the tin tiles but this is depending on your ideas.
Greg

Well I think you may be the first one to use foam on the ceiling. As long as you are going to try it, why not go thicker? the only issue I could see is attaching the finish material (tiles etc.) to the foam. You may need to extend the electrical boxes also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

i agree with greg with the thicker stuff, also would give alittle more structureal integrity to the panel. i would glue and screw the foam to rafters ,although knowing how these m/h move and shift and expand we might have to rethink that last suggestion. any light boxes or ceiling fan boxes would have to be adressed,made secure movementfrom fan vibration would damaged foam a tile , i'm also a sticker about things falling on my head. i don't like it :shock: ..tiles you would probably glue in place. ive seen vinle ceiling tile that really looks like weathered copper and plain tin. just a thought, weight issue concern. hmmmmmm thinking about that shifting thing still . foam bends but depending on how it's secured it may break,or crack.maybe just screw and place a wood boarder strip on the seams . kinda like the walls have but you can substitue with real wood moulding and stain or paint.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
texan1

I was planning on leaving a 1/8"gap for movement although we are east Texas and there seemed to be no movement on this trailer since it was set in 1976.I was planning on using metal junction boxes screwed to rafters for all lights and ceiling fans to hang from.I believe there will be a very strong bond on the foamboard and tile when done properly.I think maybe I could go 3/4" board without any problems.
Brenda (OH)

I did a ceiling repair with 1/2 foam board insulation. I primed the board before installing it. I used a plastic bag to texture the primer, and this made it blend in with the other ceiling panels better after I painted it with the color coat... I held it up with molding/trim.... it has been fine for 6 months.

you can probably find a lot more elegant ways to finish it out than I did.

Brenda (OH)