exterior door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

texas2007

does anyone know of anyone who sells exterior doors that actually fit a mobile home? I have found a few online but they are so high! They seem to be way higher than the ones at Lowe's and I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck finding an affordable door that fits.
Harry

Hi

Do you have Mark's Repair Manual? Doors is covered in Chapter 7.

Usually a conventional door requires some carpentry work....but a lot of folks take that route.

As for doors that fit have you tryed: http://store.ashvillemobilehomes.com/doors.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi Texas,

Welcome to the site.

Unfortunately about anywhere you go MH doors are always going to cost more than traditional doors. In my opinion they are worth about nothing.

Most folks when faced with replacing a door go with the traditional doors. This will mean some minor carpentry skills. But there are several factors that will need to be met. If you are interested in replacing with a traditional door let us know and we will give more specifics.

You can also do a search here on site about door replacements, there are many of them....

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

In my area, a mobile home door will cost about 2 and a half times more than a regular stick built door.

We replaced an old metal, out swing door with a nice traditional little door door from Lowes a few years ago. Cost of the door was about $118.00, 2x4's for framing, trim and lock sets might have added another $60.00 to that.

We had to make the rough opening both wider and taller. It was a bit scary taking the recip saw and actually cutting into the house, but it all turned out better then expected.

To replace the old door would have cost over $300.00, a few years ago. It still would have been an out swing door, pretty flimsy construction. We now have a steel door, that swings in. Better construction, as it's steel, much more secure. It not only gives a bit more security, but it also much more energy efficient!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
busybee1952

My back door is shot! This winter, there was at least an inch of ice buildup on the INSIDE of it and it leaked cold air and moisture like crazy! I had a blanket over it all winter which was a real pain. I was thinking that since this door leads to the deck, I would have someone build me sort of like an entryway on the deck which would serve to stop the cold air from coming in so bad. But, maybe I would be better off to just have someone install a traditional door which would solve the bent frame problem and all. What do you think?
Maureen

Hi BusyBee,

Do yourself a big favor and install a regular door there!

All the big home stores have simple little doors that work well on sale right now. They are all inswing doors, so make sure you have that clearance inside.

At most it will take some modifications and a days work. The end result is well worth the effort though!

We replaced our old mobile door almost 2 years ago. It's been through 2 Winters and has held up great!

For the less experienced, it's at least a two man job!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'