Moving a doublewide

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

albion

My husband and I are in the process of moving a doublewide from a park to an acre. The house itself is ten years old. I'm really hoping someone can give us some advice. Right now my husband is trying to take the awnings off himself. Which is where my question comes in. Does anyone know the best way to remove an awning? We really have no experience with this, so any advice would be appreciated.
JD
Site Admin

If this is an aluminum awning, the best way to transport it is completely broken down. First remove the screws that pin the flashing down to the awning. Movers will usually move the home with the flashing and C-channel hanger still attached. Sometimes this technically makes the home to wide for the permit, and they may want the flashing pinned back with screws or removed. Then remove the awning pans. There will be screws at the top and bottom of the pans. Usually the top screws are screwed in from under the awning, through the C-channel hanger. The bottom of the pan is screwed in from the top into the gutter. Next prop up the gutter with the posts attached. We usually tie it to a ladder on one end and have someone hold on it too. Use another tall step ladder to remove the side fascias, the frame parts on the sides. Now the gutter and posts should be standing alone propped up with the ladder. One person will need to have their hands on the posts at all times. Another person will remove the fasteners from the bottom of the awning posts. Once all posts are loose, lay the gutter and posts down to remove the posts from the gutter. If the awning is longer than 16 - 20 feet, there will be a splice joining the gutter sections.

When reinstalling the the awning, you will need new ground augers if it installed into dirt. On concrete you can attach new post connectors with redhead concrete bolts. In high wind areas they may require bolts in concrete.

Hope this helps,

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.