Perimeter Pier vs. Adjustable Outrigger

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bruno

Hello purchased Mark's book a couple of years ago and used it when releveling my home.

Have a 1971 double wide, each half is 12' wide, joists are running along the length of the home, don't live in an area that gets snow. Problem is the metal outriggers supporting the rim joists/outer walls are starting to sag due to age. To correct this am considering either perimeter piers (http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/DBordw ... Detail.bok) or an adjustable outrigger (http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchan ... y_Code=PAP). I like the idea of the adjustable outrigger a little more as the entire support of the home is referenced to the I beams and hence shifts in the ground over the years will not adversely stress any one point of the home as would be the case with the perimeter pier, but am concerned with the strength of the adjustable outrigger as in the photo it doesn't have the appearance of being able to support the weight of the exterior walls/roof, also isn't clear from the photo how it secures to the I beam, another concern is from a physics standpoint as the weight of the walls bear down on this style adjustable outrigger won't the outrigger push outward on the rim joist? Any feedback or thoughts are welcome.

Bruno
Greg

Hi & welcome. Since I have not personally used the adjustable outriggers I really can not say much about the strength. I do agree however with the physics problem that you mention, however since snow is not a factor for you it may not be a problem. Personally I like the perimeter system better.

I am sure someone with more experience in this area will chime in. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Hi Bruno,

You hit the nail right on the head there. Perimeter piers are much stronger than the adjustable outriggers, but they can cause leveling issues. With the lengthways floor joists, I would go with the perimeter piers and check level more frequently. Some areas will need to have the home level checked more often than others. In my area, I tell my customer's to check level every 8-10 if they are on undisturbed earth. With perimeter piers, they should check level every 5 years, unless they have reason to believe that it is necessary sooner. So I guess checking level twice as often would be my recommendation.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Bruno

Thanks for the feedback -- I think I sort of talked myself into using the perimeter piers while composing my original post. In pondering the physics issue further my thinking is the adjustable outrigger can only be used on units with floor joists which go across from one side of the unit to the other, rather than along the length of the unit, as in the photo it appears the outrigger is bolted into such a joist toward the inside.

Bruno
Groo

if you have the ground shift, you are going to twist the house some no matter what you have suporting it.

are you going to run a pier down the middle too?
Bruno

Hello:

> are you going to run a pier down the middle too?

Yes as it's a double wide in addition to installing several perimeter piers along each side of the house will also install some in the middle along the marriage line of the two halves as some of those outriggers are sagging as well.

Bruno