Truss center for mid 90's midwest (snow belt) models?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Norm

Do they range quite a bit by manufacturer or is (was) there a standard that was adhered to?

I love how a simple thing like hanging a pot rack turns into a big learning experience... :lol:
Greg

I know that HUD does have a standard, but what it is I really don't know. JD is our roof guy, perhaps he does. If you check the HUD sticker, usually near the breaker box or master bedroom closet there will be a roof rating for Lbs/Sq. ft. other than that you could drop a ceiling fixture and measure the distance that way. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I am pretty sure your trusses were planned at 16" o.c. On a mid-90's home, you want to be sure that the trusses can handle the weight of your pot rack. Many homes were built with cathedral ceilings with 2x6 rafters. Sometimes the ceiling turns into a flat ceiling in the kitchen. These flat ceiling sections in kitchens may be built with the 1x2 furring strip type trusses that are attached to the 2x6 rafters. These could be modified and reinforced to help with the weight. If the rack is going into an area with cathedral ceilings, the rafters should be strong enough.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

You can pick up an electronic stud finder for around $10. that will give you a location & width of the stud, but not the total size. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."