How do I remove stuck screws?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

Getting the water back on has made me remember that I have all leaky faucets. The one in the kitchen was really bad. So I decided to install new faucets. I can't get the screw out of the handle of one of them on the bathroom sink and one of them on the bathtub. I put WD40 on it and let it sit and it still won't budge. Screwdriver just spins around.

I got both handles and the spout off the one in the kitchen and thought to just replace the stems but the hardware doesn't have them. They can order them but they are $7.00 each. I can buy a whole new brass faucet for the kitchen for $24.89 so I was going to just remove the old faucet completely. But, I can't get the waterpipes detached from the thing. Looks like they screw on but that's not budging either. Maybe I'll have to order the parts afterall.

Anybody know what to do when you can't get the screws out?
Greg

It sounds to me like you have a major hard water problem. You may just want to cut the pipes if you can not break them loose you may end up cutting and replumbing that section. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

Are the handles plastic or metal? Got a photo?

Yep those screws that hold the faucet handles do get stuck and striped.

- WD 40 is good but I like Liquid Wrench and let it soak overnight.
- Sometimes you have to cut or break the handles in order to get to the screw or remove the stem.
- The kitchen faucet- Greg is correct and also there are nuts that hold the faucet to the sink that you'll have to remove.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
busybee1952

I took pictures. First one: stuck screw #1 on bathroom sink, 2nd:
Stuck screw #2 on tub, 3rd. hookups under kitchen faucet, 4th, naked kitchen faucet

This trailer is 23 years old and I've only had it for 4 years so there's no telling how long these faucets have been on or what kind of water went through them.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243 ... crewno.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243 ... ewno-1.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243 ... ookups.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243 ... faucet.jpg
Harry

Hi

Good photos.

If you have to break the plastic handles take the stems to the Homedepot or Lowes to get replacement handles that fit. There are dozens of different sized splines and handles.

Usually to stop the bathroom sink and tub leaks replace the washer on the stem.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

I'm with Harry on this one! Liquid wrench, or any good penetrating oil will work well. You do have to let it work for a time first though. Penetrating oil is much better than WD-40 or anything like that. You can find it in an auto store.

You can also use it under the sink to get that plastic screw to turn also. I'd change the plastic faucets out for metal faucets. They last a lot longer, with less hassles.

If the handles do come off without breaking, and you can't find replacement stems, there is a product for you. They are called Drip Stops and they work very well! They replace the washer in older faucets. They work like a charm!

http://dripstop.com

Maureen[/url]
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Robert

Hi,

Look for PB Blaster at Auto Stores or HD, Lowe's .

WD-40 is a lubricating oil to ~prevent~, PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench are penetrating oils to ~dissolve~ what is there and allow it to turn.

Not knowing what tools you have or have access to, there are a few different ways to get off.

I would replace all, repairing with new stems is more of a band-aid than a cure all.

Replacing with all brass, washerless faucet is best way to go here.

First, turn off MAIN water shut-off and turn off water heater.

As an example for faucet, if I came there, I would grasp the white 3 wing nut with a pair of channellocks and turn it down as far as possible if easy enough to do so.

If not easy enough, I would use my cordless sawzall to cut through the nut and peel away.

Then, either way of doing the nut listed above, I would cut through the white plastic stub that water pipes attach to and the white nut.

Then remove faucet and reach under and remove water pipe from shut-off.

Replace shut-off with 1/4 turn ball valve shut-off.

Replace faucet and connect with a flexible stainless steel braided water connection hose for kitchen sink.

For faucet in bathroom and tub handles, you may be able to use the square bit for the square head screws found in MH's to get it out.

If spinning completely, try a magnetic or magnet to remove or gently pry up handle.

If stripped, screw will come out w/o turning.

Replace stems or faucet assembly.

If you crack a handle, they are cheap enough to replace.

The place you rented the crimper tool may have a cordless sawzall for rent.

Hope this helps some.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
busybee1952

Thank you all for the advice. The nearest Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards is 37 miles from me so I don't think I'll be going there for parts. I do have a Walmart 10 miles away and auto stores so I should be able to find the liquid wrench. It sounds like great stuff.

The more I think about it, the more I have decided to just replace all of these faucets. It's just a matter of getting them off of there. I had thought to try to cut through the plastic stems and wondered if I could use a regular little pipe cutter thing. It's small enough to get up under there. Seems like if it cuts copper, it should cut plastic. Will that work or will I just be making more problems?
Greg

A small copper tubing should work on plastic with no problem. The only minor problem you MAY have is the cutter wheel slightly folding the end of the tube closed, a screw driver or punch will open it back up with no problem. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Thanks Robert! I was trying to remember the name of the penetrating oil that I use. PB Blaster has made my life easier more than once! Mine was out in the shop last night, but I looked at it today while I was out there.

If I remember right, it was probably Robert that guided me to the penetrating oil when I changed my faucets years ago. I had a real tough on in the bath tub. Mine were metal, but years of hard water had glued the handles on really tight! I had to treat it a few times, but with a little muscle and a good pair of channel locks, it finally came off.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
busybee1952

Had to break the handles in the bathroom to get the darned things off. Finally got a basin wrench and was able to remove old kitchen faucet. Next project will be installing the new kitchen faucet and then trying to get the rest of the faucets removed in the bathroom. I'll let you all know what happens.