Siding replacment options

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

allen655

I own an 1999 Oakwood 28X65 with hardboard siding, and need siding replacement options. I am thinking about trying to do it myself, good idea or not?
Greg

Hi & welcome. I think the most common is vinyl siding. I'm sure others will add their thoughts as well. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
allen655

What about cement fiber board?
bobfather99

Vinyl would be a quick way to get it done. The basic colors can be had on sale, or you can get lucky and find a discontinued color or style(I did that 40% off!!!) Vinyl is a snap to install too.

I have also installed fiberboard once, also looks good, but a little more time consuming to cut and trim.
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

Just remember to keep the weight factor in mind. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

I am leaning toward T111 wood panneling. The fact that wour hardboard only made it a decade is making me more sure to not choose that option.The cement stuff needs special tools to cut and makes lots of dust I hear. Vynil siding without backing will let air through, and the sheeting would weigh as much as the T111. more fiberboard is another option, but you already went that route, and it wont be as strong. I guess you could put the vynil over the hardboard is it still in somewhat decent shape., but that sounds like a potential mold and bug problem to me.

I don't think the weight would be a huge issue. you are going to average 2 joists (or more) to hold up each pannel. I am also planning to truss up the floor joists near the heavy traffic areas for mine.

If you replace the old pannels with the same sized new pannels, you could do them 1 at a time and use the old ones as templates. but its not like the geometry of cutting a hole for a window is all that complex.

Speaking of cutting holes for windows, this would be the perfect time to make any changes in window size or location of windows or dd new ones.