Sweating toilet tank

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldwing

A sweating toilet tank caused most of the bathroom floor issues. I'm considering running hot water to the tank as an EZ fix. Anyone have better ideas?
Greg

You could try a toilet cover or insulating the inside of the tank. I have seen foam inserts but don't ask me where. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

I did a quick internet search for sweating toilet, (luckily, only home repair stuff came up lol)

and it suggests the approach of a mixing valve and hot and cold water supply, so that you can shut off the hot water feed when the humidity is low and the toilet does not sweat.

the thing was called a tempering valve... it might be a money saver, since you would not use hot water all the time, and not need to use 100% hot water to fill the tank....

Brenda (OH)
Groo

higher end toilets (I think I've seen them for under $300) are double walled, so they won't sweat. If you are that woried about it, that would be much cheaper in the long run. I plan on using pressure treated lumber to patch the floor under my toilet, so it will be fine for many many decades, witch is at least one many longer than I expect the home as a whole to last.
bobfather99

Ive also seen people glue polystyrene pieces to the inside of the tank. It basically makes the tank have a built-in styrofoam cooler, I guess. Could be a cheap fix if you can find the material.
Tip your bartender.....
HouseMedic

joedirt63

i found a toilet at home depot no sweat design made by glacier bay , it has a bucket in the tank and tips when you push the handel, thus the only time water is in the tank is when you flush. it cost me about 100 bucks. but no more puddles under the tank.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me