Noises when the heat is on.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MHintheJungle

I've lived with friends in other mobile homes before, but never heard these noises before.

In the spring and summer, when it is warm and we use the window A/C, the place is quiet other than the A/C running. But, in the cooler months and on cooler nights in spring and fall, when we turn the heat on, it sounds like a slow moving heavy-footed ghost is walking around. At first, it was very creepy, but now, I'm slowly getting used to it. I know it has to be something to do with the duct work and the other parts of the mobile home expanding and contracting due to the temperature differences, but is it normal?

If it helps, I have a 1996 Redman Homes (Sanford, NC) single wide model. I know they are out of business now (Champion bought them out) and I bought the home (well, am buying it) used. I love the place other than a few things that are really getting on my last nerve.

One thing I have noticed is that they did not give much clearance on any of the molding or the battens. I have been slowly going through and clipping 1/8" off the too-tightly-fitting moldings as I go along. They are bowing because they have no room to expand and contract. The walls seem fine, but the battens and molding were jammed too tightly and have no room to do what wood does in heat and cold. One particular piece of molding kept getting caught on my aunt's scooter as she rode by. I clipped 1/8" off the bottom and screwed it in instead of nailing. It looks much better now and it's not catching any more. Also, the decks were nailed together, not screwed together, which annoys me. I wonder if trimming these decorative parts to fit better will cut out some of the ghostly noises.

Are these noises normal? And has anyone else had a problem with bowing molding?
Harry

Hi

I think the noises are normal. My 1988 MH makes a variety of noises.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?