Leveling Questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AbbottsManor

Hi,
I have a 2 part question:
First can anyone recommend a company to relevel my 1990 14 x 70 in south central Pa (York/Hanover area) I can only find one regional company but have had numerous bad experiences with them in the past. Everyone I call say they don't do that, even the mobile home sales lots!

Secondly, them home hasn't been leveled in 20 years. It rests on concrete blocks on concrete ribbons on clay soil. At least 2 of the ends of the concrete ribbons have broken away from the rest of the ribbon under the block stack. The rear of the home is at least 6" lower than the center, possibly more. The left front corner of the house seems to be lower than the rest because the floor there dips down (same location as one of the broken ribbons). I was thinking about digging deep holes in the area of the broken ribbons and filling them with concrete and adding supports there so the broken ribbons can be repaired. Could I build a form around the broken area then fill it and level it and put the block stack back on or is it going to be more complicated than that?
I appreciate any help,

Chris
Harry

Hi

First - I don't have anyone reliable around here either.

Second - I would probably jack the ends level and block leaving the base ribbon in place hoping it has settled enough for another 20 years. Your way would probably work as well.

JMHO

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
joedirt63

thats why we use 3 ft deep poured footing around hear, sounds like the pads arn't deep enough and had broken over time with the freezing.,6 inch is alot i would jack it and block it until you can get some one proffesional to lift and repair the footings. i'll work on getting you a contact . how far is york from easton?
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

As Joe said the first thing to do is get proper footers in place. It sound to me like someone just poured a 4"-6" thick strip to place blocks on.

Mark's book covers releveling, it is not that hard to do, but I don't like to raise an end more than a few inches. I like to raise them, let them set a few weeks and raise them a few more inches, let them set. I am afraid of doing damage if you raise them too much, too fast.

Remember to use a water level!!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

ok, this may be out there....

maybe check that the corner that seems so low is not partially that the floor inside has rotted and disconnected from the wall, which could make it be quite a bit below the rest of the floor...

I mention this because I have found two different times the back corner of the room at the end of the home had a rotten corner from the drip channel sending the water down the side of the home instead of pitching it out from the home..... also, if the water is landing and flowing under the home from the drip channels, a crater can form in that spot.... something else to look into as you plan the repairs... where is all the water going when it flows off the roof lol

Brenda
AbbottsManor

Thanks for the replys,
Joedirt63: Which Easton are you referring to apparently there are 2, I'm about 125 miles from the one above Philly or about 200 from the one in western Pa.

Greg:
That's exactly what they did here, about 6" of questionable looking concrete. looks to be about the same quality of stuff you'd use to put in fence posts!

All:
the 2 piers on broken footings are leaning a slight bit, that is why I thought of adding supports near these 2 and then pouring a footer over top of the broken area. The last think i want is one of the columns to lean so much it pushes over. I have often thought of adding perimeter blocking but the clay we are on is like a slow motion roller coaster ride due to frost heave. I am afraid everything heaving at different rates would tear the place apart!

Chris
joedirt63

1st it's easton above philly, yeah i'm kind of a river rat. heh heh not really, the pillars must be pured down below the frost line . around here it's 36 inches. sounds like you could be on some shifting ground may be under ground water .not familiar with that part of p.a. i know a local guy who levels our homes not sure if he's up to a road trip, but i'll ask when i can see him. also think about tie downs they are a must aleast around here they help things stay put.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Chris, you will want to go at least 2-3' below grade to get below the frost line and start your footer there. You could use 12" Sono tubes and fill with concrete. Greg
AbbottsManor

I guess I should say I am in a park, so pouring new footings is not an option.

Chris
Greg

Check with the park, they go for a portion of the job. It can't hurt to ask. Greg