Suggestions (or help) with mold problem under / behind tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DecoratingChallenged

Cross-posting from: https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... f=8&t=6800 in the "Decor/Remodel"
I removed the panel from the front of the tub. There is mold under there, growing on the walls. Under the tub on the bottoms of the walls, on the three sides (well, as much as I can see).

What am I supposed to do now? Rip out the tub and all the walls? I can't reach it to clean it, not to mention that they say (being many websites) you can't kill it forever, it will come back until it's removed. Oh, and wear a respirator while removing it. Like I have one handy.

I am very discouraged. Very. It really (after researching) seems like the tub & drywall all have to be removed and new walls put in. Granted, I have the knowledge how to do those things (less the plumbing), but I don't know that one measly, wimpy girl can do it alone. Not to mention, buying new drywall (and studs?) will be not cheap. Would the tub surround be salvageable?

Stupid mobile home manufacturers - why the hell would you construct a bathroom so shoddily, so there is hardly any waterproofing?
Stupid prior owners - whoever probably noticed a problem and then put up the tub surround - OVER the old MH shower walls (vinyl covered gypsum) instead of putting up something actually suitable for a wet environment.
So my question is this - is it possible to take the tub surround out without damaging it? My thought was maybe I could (:shock:) take it down, clean it, remove & replace the wallboards and then put the surround back. Am I dreaming?
Greg

With some luck it may be possible. It all depends on how it was fastened. I have had some about fall off others that they used half a case of adhesive to hold it in. A heat gun may help also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

Try planning the remodel two ways... repairs only, or gut the thing and rebuild.

you may not have as big of a price difference as you think if you can get a family member/friend to do the labor part for free...

you end up with a better result going to the studs (and old floor out too if it is shot)

gutting half the room only may be possible also...

gutting probably sounds terrible, but it is so much easier to get all the bad stuff out, find all the leaks, and get things back in with proper insulation, correct types of wall board, plywood on the floor, toilet on a solid floor etc that you will want to check out that option....

people with power tools unite.... and pry bars are our friends... lol

Brenda (OH)