What to replace ceiling with?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DCDiva

if you have followed my past post-- we gutted our mh and it had dry wall on it ( repairs) but it was too heavy on the roof 1972--and the roof literally raised when we removed it--so need suggestion for ceiling--low cost would be wonderful---thought about the white,paneling you use in bathrooms, not sure of the name I use it in my daycare as a white board for dry erase boards--we used a similar thing but it has line on it like weiscoat paneling for our ceiling in our family room and it looks very nice---not sure of the weight of this??
BTW last weekend power was out all weekend,wind storm--no work--this weekend 2 FEET OF SNOW--ok is someone tell us to wait to work on mh until spring??? When I start a project I love progress --hate to be on pause
Melissa
Brenda OH

maybe find a building supply/lumber yard, and see what low weight options they have.

a drop ceiling material may be the lightest choice, since it is designed for that application.

anything else you would be doing a nonstandard use for the stuff, and that always involves fussy and figuring and trial and error for the install..... LOL

Brenda
flcruising

Looking at your photos, it appears someone furred down the 2x2 bottom cord of the trusses with more 2x2s perpendicular prior to drywalling, is that right? If so, completely pointless as the spacing looks the same with both, no more than 24"o.c.?

What size are your wall studs? I actually suggest removing the furring strips, and sistering some 2x6's to side of the bottom cord of the roof trusses so they span accross. Or better yet, you could sister some 6" plywood strips onto both sides of the cord staggering the joints. Then you could finish the ceiling with what you want without worrying about the weight again.
Last edited by flcruising on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

WE used 3/8" sheetrock when we redid our daughter's. It is lighter than 1/2" and easier to work with. Don't forget to check and repair the trusses for any damage.

Also for those of you not used to dealing with 2' of snow, GET THE ROOF CLEARED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Mobiles are not designed to hold that much weight up there. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."