how to light a pilot light

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

cr8ivrose

My son has a old gas (propane) coleman presidental II, we had the gas turned on about a month ago after being off for several months. They lit the pilot and the furnace has been working fine until now. As far as we can tell the pilot light went out because the fan will work, but following the directions we can't get it lit. Every time he tries to light it with a long lighter while holding the button down, it blows out before it lights. Please help it's getting below freezing in Missouri.
Robert

Hi,

What is the furnace model number ? Does it light while holding the button/lever/knob and go out when set to ON ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
cr8ivrose

I'll have to get the model number later today (he works 2nd shift) but I do know he can't even get it lit, it keeps blowing out before it lights, he says he can hear the gas when holding the button.
cr8ivrose

It's turns out my son was trying to light the wrong thing? Now the problem is we got it lit and it was working fine so we left, when my son came home it was out again! Were going back tonight while he's at work and see why it's going out. Any suggestions?
Robert

I would replace the thermocouple and see if that resolves it. If not, need to call an hvac tech to test the gas valve operation.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?