Question About Coleman Evcon EB20B Blower Motor

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Hi there,

Newbie here with a question about my 7 Year Old Coleman Evcon EB-20B, or more precisely the Blower Motor. I am pretty positive I already know the answer to my question, but I always prefer a second opinion...... :wink:

I have noticed the past couple of months, that my Blower Motor has not been keeping a constant speed. During it's normal cycle, the motor will speed up, then slow down, and continue to do so throughout the entire cycle. You can even hear the different speeds in the air, that is being forced through the vents. I have had my system off the past couple of months, due to nice weather, but when I tested it during a hot day last week, the symptoms were worse. You could really hear the different speeds of the motor, through the vents and when I removed the access panel. I suspect that I need to replace the Blower Motor and Run Capacitor, which should solve the problem. Due to other problems in the past, I have already replaced my Transformer and the Sequencer. I'm quite familiar with replacing the part in my Central Heat/Air system, as you can tell...... :lol:

Anyway, I was just looking for a second opinion, on whether or not it is in fact the Blower Motor that is going out, or if I am looking in the wrong direction.

Thanks
Orangestng
Robert

Have you checked the voltage and amp draw of motor at time of this erratic behavior ?

Is the run cap swollen or leaking or showing signs of damage ?

Thanks,
Robert
www.mobilehomerepair.com
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Hey there Robert,

For your first question, I have not taken a meter to the motor as of yet.

As for the Run Capacitor, the only noticeable damage is a little bit of rust on the outer casing. I do not see any signs of leaking, nor does it look swollen at all.

Thanks
Orangestng
Robert

Hi,

I would test the voltage and amp draws while it is doing this to see what they show.

Could also replace run cap and see if it changes anything.

Will need to replace run cap anyway if motor is faulty, so this wouldn't hurt to see if it helped any.

With a new run cap, if motor is getting full voltage, it should not be doing that, so if it continued under those circumstances, I would replace it.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Hi again Robert,

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I installed a new Run Capacitor tonight, and came up with the same results...... :( The motor had been making a rumbling noise during the Winter months, that increased in volume as time went along. Between the two problems, I had a pretty good idea that it was going out. It looks like I will be installing a new motor soon..... :wink:

Thanks again for all of your help.....

Orangestng
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, sorry it didn't take care of it, but it does sound like motor is going out.

If needed, you can see and order the motor from this page:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanElec.html

Scroll down left side to locate and click on pic for enlarged view.

Blower Motor # 1468-243P/A @ $137.48 + $12 shipping.

Correct Run Cap would be 7.5mfd/370V which you should already have.

If interested, please add to cart and order through PayPal or call toll free to 1-877-263-7860 and charge to Visa or Mastercard.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert

Hey Again Robert,

Just placed the order for the motor today through the number you provided, and should see it by the end of the week, I hope. It would be nice to have it installed for the Holiday...... :D

Again, Thanks for all of your help....... :wink:

Orangestng
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, glad to help.

Should have it by Wednesday or Thursday, usually a 2-3 day delivery time.

Thanks for ordering and please let me know if that solves it.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert

Hey Robert,

Finally got a chance to install the motor, and it did solve the noise and speed problems, so thanks for that....... :wink:

Looks like I need to get someone out here with some freon now though, as the Central Air isn't cooling or sweating at all. I have cleaned the dirt and dust from the coils, and the compressor is running, but no cold air........ :( At least I know I will have heat when Winter rolls around again........ :lol:

Thanks Again
Orangestng