Garden Tub/Shower

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Melitta

I looked around on the site and saw some other posts about garden tubs and showers, but none of them really fit what I was looking for. So, here is what I want to do and just throwing around some ideas in my head on how it could be done...possibly. ;)

Our garden tub is in the corner in between our sinks. The faucet spout is mounted on the top of the tub, the water faucets are connected to the decking around the tub. There is not a wall where the faucets and spout are mounted. I want to add a shower to this huge tub that we never use. We are having some issues with our "phone booth" size shower and need to pull it all out, replace the walls and floor there. In the mean time we could use the garden tub as a temporary shower...right, maybe? Here is what I am thinking we can do, without getting to expensive....I have seen online that they have the shower curtain holders for a claw tub, it mounts to the ceiling and forms an oval (or whatever shape you get) around the tub, for the curtain to hang from. For the faucet, can't I just get a "add a shower converter/divertion spout" and replace the spout that is on the tub now with that? Buy a hand held shower hose kit that would mount to the converter/diverter and since there isn't a wall there (and I don't want to add one) just use the shower curtain holder that will be hanging from the ceiling to hang the shower head from?

Does this seem "do able"? Like I said this will be temporary, taking baths is not an option, as my huband can barely fit in the tub at over 6 feet tall and our "guest" bathroom is currently being accuppied by my step son, his wife and their little boy. So, that isn't much of an option either.

Any and all opinions are welcome!!
Greg

That sounds like it should work. You may find a spring loaded shower rod that fits also. My only concern way be protecting the walls if you don't have a tub surround already. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Melitta

Well, in my mind...it was a good idea, then I went back and looked at the diverter and realized that it is for a faucet that mounts to the inside wall of the tub. **sigh** Ours in mounted on the ridge that runs around the top of the tub. I think we are going to go check out Lowe's and Home Depot and see if anything they have "in store" will work. I know there is a hand held that like slips over the end of the faucet (where the water comes out to fill the tub), they are made to be able to wash your kids or pets in the tub, we may have to use something like that until the regular shower is replaced. I would actually really like to try and make something nice with this tub and make the shower permanent in the garden tub. I really, really want to take out the small shower and use that space for a larger linen closet. ;)
The walls surrounding the tub are covered with mirrors, so I am not real worried about them getting water logged, but it is something we would have to keep an eye on. Not sure if us taking a shower and getting water on them would be any worse than having the kids in the tub when they were younger and just having a field day in there splashing water ALL over the place. LOL.
Thank you so much for your reply!!
Greg

As long as you are thinking a permanent setup you could simply install a second faucet just for the shower, and run the pipe in the wall for a mounted shower head.

As for water logged walls the thing to worry about is mold. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."