Is the Rustique vinyl skirting kit anygood?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Billy

I have found a local dealer here in the md, dc & va area who stocks this kit. It's a kit for a 14x70 but mine is only a 12x60 unit. So far so good.

Now the company says it's a complete kit with the upper j chanel and the bottom track. However it does not come with the corner pieces. The sales guy says you just bend it around the corners.

Its is in 12 foot sections by 16 inches wide that inter lock together.

The total cost is $472.50

Has anyone had issues with this manufacture before?
Any other thoughts you have would help also.
Yanita

Hi,

Could you post a link to the product in question.

Vinyl skirting wraps right around the corner.

Welcome to the site, and I apologize for nobody getting to this sooner, generally we have quick service LOL.

Look forward to your future questions and contributions! :lol:

Have a great night,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Billy

Re: Rustique vinyl skirting kit?

Here is the only link I can find.

http://www.mobile-mart.com/catalog.aspx?catalog=701

The store that has this "kit" does not have a website. So im not sure if its a combination of these products or not.

Thank you for your time...

Regards
Billy

I've been looking for the manufacture's site with no luck at all. Maybe someone else would have better luck than me?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Billy,

This Rustique skirting is just like the T-Loc and LifeStyles vinyl skirting. There won't be corners for the skirt panels. You bend the panel to make the corner. The trim may have pre-cut corner sections when you buy the kit (top product on the page). The T-loc and LifeStyles does.

When bending the corners, hopefully the skirting will be running level and the the top trim is plumb to the the back lip of the bottom ground channel. Otherwise you may need to bend the panel at an angle. This never looks good. Also when bending, really flatten the panel good and pinch the edge at the bend to get a nice sharp corner.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Billy

JD wrote:Hi Billy,

This Rustique skirting is just like the T-Loc and LifeStyles vinyl skirting. There won't be corners for the skirt panels. You bend the panel to make the corner. The trim may have pre-cut corner sections when you buy the kit (top product on the page). The T-loc and LifeStyles does.

When bending the corners, hopefully the skirting will be running level and the the top trim is plumb to the the back lip of the bottom ground channel. Otherwise you may need to bend the panel at an angle. This never looks good. Also when bending, really flatten the panel good and pinch the edge at the bend to get a nice sharp corner.

JD
Thank you JD for the information!

I did find the manufacture
http://www.rustique-enterprises.com/Skirting/index.htm
From what I can tell it looks like a very good kit / price.

I read quite abit about the install is there any other pointers anyone else might share? First time install for me and im worried... lol
Billy

I have about 7 small tree stumps about a foot across in the way. Not quite sure how to get this skirting up and looking good.

I was thinking about cutting the stumps as low to the ground as possible. Then take the chain saw and cut a trench in the stump for the lower channel. Of course it would not be level like laying it on the ground.

My only issue is the stump will keep growing.

1) How would one go about killing the stump of a tree?
2) Would i just half to go back and adjust the skirting every so often.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Billy,

Just take your time and enjoy the install. It is pretty easy. One key point with the installation is to be sure to cut the bottom of the panel to match the grade of the bottom channel. It is not always level and square. This will keep your skirting panels plumb as you go. If several panels end up with one side not quite touching the ground channel because of grade, the skirting will tend to lean. The ground channel can be spiked direct to the ground, but I like to install pressure treated 2x4 mud seal under it. You can drill holes and spike the 2x4 to the ground, but it is much better to stake it in from behind. It is much stronger that way. I install the top track with regular 1/4" hex heads ( #8's ). Just be sure to leave the screw loose to the vinyl to allow for expansion, as per instructions. Again, the trick to nice looking corners is to be sure it is plumb and to crease the corner real good.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Billy

Billy wrote:I have about 7 small tree stumps about a foot across in the way. Not quite sure how to get this skirting up and looking good.

I was thinking about cutting the stumps as low to the ground as possible. Then take the chain saw and cut a trench in the stump for the lower channel. Of course it would not be level like laying it on the ground.

My only issue is the stump will keep growing.

1) How would one go about killing the stump of a tree?
2) Would i just half to go back and adjust the skirting every so often.
I could post some pics so you could see how bad it is.

Thanks again for the tips JD...
JD
Site Admin

Hey Billy,

Sorry for the delay. Had to go to work. Can't really help you with the stump problem. Maybe you can rent one of those stump eaters. The last time I dealt with that, I paid a tree company to take care of it. In the old days, I was out there with a shovel, chain saw and pick bar. Or should I say the young days.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Greg

I think a stump grinder is your best bet, most rental houses have them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Billy

The stump grinder worries me!

The power lines, old gas line, plumbing "meaning connection"all the above" " to the street + the phone.

Im in a park...on a deadline to complete by june 1 for inspection.

Seems like i would need a permit or something?
hvac1000

Cut stump level with ground. Drill a bunch of holes with a wood paddle bit. Put rock salt in holes. The stumps should not grow but will eventually rot out over time. BTW make sure you put some holes on the outside of the skirt area so you can put more salt in as the rain dissolves it into the old stump. If you can get it use the item below instead of salt. Blue Stone/ Copper sulfate.

Actually Blue Stone (copper sulfate) works better. It is a chemical we use at the pond to kill all the algae and other growth. I have a license to buy and use the stuff but a local chemical company might sell you a 25 pound bag.

FYI Blue stone is a generic mineral description commonly applied to a variety of minerals. Perhaps the most common reference is to the hydrated (copper(II) sulfate) mineral, chalcanthite.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Billy

Spot on...

You think that is the right root rot solution?

Spade bit... very inventive...

Great knowledge here!
Yanita

Call dig safe...toll free nationwide, will find all lines going to your home and mark accordingly.

I have done the rock salt thing in the past. If the stumps are currently "healthy" it can take some time depending on the diameter of the stump.

To help the rot process, cut stump as low as you can, drill holes as mentioned above, fill with rock salt, cover with lots of mulch and water. Always keep water and salt in the holes. The mulch provides heat which speeds up the rot process!

Good luck!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!