i got a question??????

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ochetura03

hi everybody ok my question is if im using 3 tab shingles (tamko) how many pcks of shingles would i need on a 1248 sq ft roof?thank you
awo ni orunmila ochetura
JD
Site Admin

Well there are 3 bundles (pks) to a square. A roofing square is 100SF. You should add 10% for waste and cut offs. Then there is the ridge cap and starter course. You can buy dedicated products for both of those items, but it is common to use regular shingles, installed upside down (no not the black side up but rather the tab side uphill) and to cut the shingles across at the tabs to use for the ridge cap.

When I figure a shingle order, I add 2' to the width and 1' to the length. So a 24x60 would be a 26x61 or 1586 SF. That would be 16 SQ, or 48 bundles. This is a tight order with little waste. Sometimes I will order a couple of extra bundles, maybe more if it is real hot weather.

Also, if you have a hip roof, with the perpendicular ridge cap, usually over a front door, you will need to allow for the waste on that as well.

That's how I do it.
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.