paint sealant??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ochetura03

:D hi my friends i got a question, they told me that there's a paint sealant that i think its called blackjack ,but there are different kinds of that blackjack,can someone help me on which sealant coating i can use for my roof ? and its like a white paint,,thank you
awo ni orunmila ochetura
Greg

There are a few types of roof coatings. I prefer the lighter colored sealers since they reflect the sun better. Your best bet is do do some reading and research. There are some that you should not use over tar based sealers so you need to read the can. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I have been repairing mobile homes for over 23 years. I have never seen a coating for asphalt shingles that can give you your money's worth. At best, the sealant may last a year or two if you are leaking now. That is just what I have found from my experience.

There is no quick fix (short of the blue tarp) for shingle roofs that have played out there usable life span. Replacing damaged roof sheathing and re-roofing with new shingles is probably the cheapest answer. Converting to a metal roof could give you a longer lasting roof, but they will be much more expensive, whether DIY or contracted.

If you still have some life in your shingles and can track down the source or any leaks, you can usually patch up the leak with regular roof mastic. Roof mastic will not repair large areas or make up for ponding problems.

Installing a roof DIY for a first time can be very daunting challenge. It will be more than some people can handle. Just removing all old roofing and pulling staples is a huge and hard job. Cleaning a small area of a roof or installing a bundle of shingles is not hard. It is when you look at a whole roof that these chores become difficult. But the roof can be done DIY if you have the time to take it slow and do it right. Having time is about beating the rain as much as having the time to do your own roof.

This is all just my opinion and I hope it is of some help.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Norm

JD wrote:I have been repairing mobile homes for over 23 years. I have never seen a coating for asphalt shingles that can give you your money's worth. At best, the sealant may last a year or two if you are leaking now. That is just what I have found from my experience.
This is what I was thinking from his question in the other thread asking about two specific products.. - It made me wonder why these products weren't out earlier if they could work. (There's been some advances in polymer technology in the last 20 yrs for sure, but none I've heard of that would help for an asphalt shingled roof..)

Also... - I don't know what codes might apply for your area ochetura, but in Michigan (on standard homes anyway, not sure about mobile homes yet, haven't checked that out) but you can layer shingles (or mixed roofing types) up to 3 times before you have to strip and re-roof... If you don't have 3 layers of shingles down already, this might save you a bit of time / money / frustration..
Greg

Well I guess the first question should have been, what type of roof?? I was thinking metal, you were thinking shingle, and the original post never said. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."