Coleman Evcon Presidential

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kim_in_ky

I have a coleman evcon presidential. I can't find a model number but it is old lol This will be a long post so bear with me. I will more than likely have to call a tech when I get my ssi check in June. This past winter I had to replace my thermostat and capacitor. The thermistat wasn't wired to hold my RC wire so I just left the a/c unplugged all winter. I was going to lowes to get a new thermostat when my father came over and plugged up my a/c to the blower motor and plugged the r/c wire to the red connector on the old thermostat. :twisted: He said the a/c came on with the old thermostat turned off and the fan switch set to on. Now since I hooked up the right thermostat nothing happens. My father hooked the outside a/c wires that are white and red to the white and red wires on my blower motor. He lost the diagram I had so I don't know if that is correct or not. Could it be that he blowed the capacitor again or does it sound like I have major issues now? Like I said I live on a fixed income and boy it's getting hot LOL I appreciate all the help on this forum though.
Kim
Robert

Hi Kim,

Do you have an a/c control box with a heat/cool and fan/auto-on switches on the front ?

How many wires are connected to t-stat.

The outside condensing unit wires connect to low voltage wires in control box or the transformer and t-stat.

They do not connect to blower motor wires.

Model number will be on data sticker or nameplate located on front facing of furnace.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kim_in_ky

I have uploaded 3 pics hope this might help. My model is the coleman evcon 3500 series. I have a 4 wire t-stat and 4 wires connected to the blower relay. My father had the outside 2 wire ac unit connected to the wired nuts down by the heat sequencer at one time. I can't remember where the two wire ac wire were attached before and he lost my diagram I drew :twisted: Hope this helps or makes you more confused??? LOL
Robert

Hi Kim,

Ok, let me look the pics over and it should be no problem. Since you can take pics and post them, if needed, I can request a certain pic for clarity.

Be back shortly.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kim_in_ky

Thanks Robert you are truly a Godsend :D
Robert

Top pic, brown sheathed wires coming in front of blower and entering bottom of control box.

That is your t-stat wires.

Remove control box cover and see what the yellow t-stat wire connects to.

Then follow it out the side of box and see where it goes.

That wire connects to red wire from outside condensing unit.

Then look at bottom pic, middle top is transformer.

Determine which side is secondary-load-24vac side and determine which wire is power and which is neutral.

One will read 24vac to a good ground (metal side of box) and other will read 0vac to ground.

The white wire from outside condenser will connect to neutral from transformer that reads 0vac to ground.

IF they have been previously connected and pulled to connection point and won't reach to above, you can reverse the colors if it makes it easier.

Wire from yellow t-stat to white and red to transformer neutral.

Bottom pic left side yellows, are some of those wires burned ?

They look like they have burnt markings on them, maybe get a better close up.

Thanks,
Robert
kim_in_ky

Yes they are burned. The sequencer was melted as well that is why I had to replace it. I didn't know where to get the wires to replace them so I black taped them as best as could be. I also don't know why they melted. Sometimes it condensed and had water on the wires when we first got the trailor and ran the air. Can I just go to lowes and get new wires for the sequencer and fuses?
Kim
Robert

Hi Kim,

No, they have to be high heat wires and connector ends. You can get

them from us at this page here :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/FurnaceElec.html

You will need the 10 gauge wire in red or black.

You can then go to lowes and buy colored electrical tape and and wrap a few wraps around wire with color wire it is now for future use looking at a wiring diagram.

IF you cannot determine the correct connector ends, call toll free

to 1-877-263-7860 and speak with Mark.

Tell him you're connecting to sequencer, fused disconnect and maybe a blower relay.

He'll get you correct ends for the 10 gauge wire.

Then, follow your drain line from a-coil drain pan all the way down to floor, then go under home and follow it out through skirting next to outside condensing unit.

See if it has a trap installed anywhere or is just piping ?

Need 3/4" cpvc and a trap at the end.

Then go to top blue toolbar, click on HVAC, then when there, click on ARTICLES.

See cleaning your a/c and cleaning your furnace blower .

Those also cover cleaning the a-coil.

We sell the needed coil cleaner also.

You can call toll free number to ask help with needed parts and/or to place an order that way.

Keep coil, blower motor and wheel clean, filter changed/cleaned every 30 days and get trap installed in drain line to stop overflow from drain pan getting on electrical components.

Also, you can seal any openings to controls area to prevent moisture getting in.

That is most likely what caused burning of wires.

Let me know if further info needed.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
kim_in_ky

Robert just to let you know that I finally got my air on. I called the pros :D I blew the transformer I think is what he said. I did find out that I don't have a board so I can't blow that lol My new problem is I now have lots of moisture leaking from my A Coil. I made sure the drain wasn't clogged but it looks like it is dripping from underneath my A Coil. I have water in my vents and in my furnace compartment. Not a lot but enough it has made my floor weak over time. I should have looked this trailer over better LOL Thanks again for all your help. You are a Godsend :D
If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all :D
Robert

Turn power off, plug drain hole from drain pan to drain line, fill drain pan half way full and use bright light to check underneath pan bottom for rusted out spots if metal or cracks if plastic.

Good to have wet/dry vac nearby if leak found to quickly remove water from pan and also cover electrical areas with plastic for safety.

A-Coil could look clean and not be at all, follow info given earlier to ensure a clean a-coil.

Clean blower motor and wheel and clean replace filter every 30 days.

Also, IF a-coil is at top and you have electric furnace downflow furnace, you'll need a trap in the end of the drain line outside where it exits home.

I have just yesterday gave Mark info on new item out that is great for this and takes place of older style traps.

Call 1-877-263-7860 to order it, ask for Mark and tell him it is the Supco Condensate Drain attachment he just sent me for testing.

Thanks,
Robert