What is the purpose of furning strips for ceiling? - QUICK!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

freespirit

Our handyman is here to do the ceiling and he doesn't think he needs to use furing strips across the 16" Center 1.5X1.5 (I think 2x2's)"s. He said your not really accomplising anything by doing so.

Please advise as he is getting ready to hang the sheetrock.

HELP!!!

1/2" Ich sheetrock is what we are hanging.

Thank you,
Laurie
Greg

The strips are usually used to hide the stapels, if you are using rock and are going to tape the seams and fill the screw holes then you shouldn't need the strips. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

When patching an area of a ceiling panel (instead of and entire panel) the entire cut needs to be backed up with some type of wood, 1x2, 2x2, whatever. Both sides of the cut, the existing ceiling panel and the new patch piece, needs to be fastened to the wood. This is like blocking in framing, but usually using smaller wood. Generally, you only need to block two sides, as the other two sides can be cut or removed from the center of the existing trusses.

JD

Edit: Once again I read the post wrong. Hell getting old.
Last edited by JD on Mon May 18, 2009 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
freespirit

Thanks everyone.. they are not going to use furings. So all should be fine.