different crimp rings and crimpers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cr8ivrose

I found a place that rented crimpers to work on some plumbing per instructions from this site, when I picked them up the rings and the crimper are not what was used here, they were the kind that has the piece on top of the rings that the crimper squeezes together and automatically releases when its crimped. The problem is when the pex or poly is crimped you can still move the tubing around, it's in there tight and won't pull out but it seems like if the tubing can move around that it could leak.! Can anyone let me know if this is what is supposed to happen?

Thanks,
Rose
JD
Site Admin

I use the Oetiker type (made by several companies) stainless steel fittings, which is what I think you have. It sounds to me like you may have a PEx ring on the polybutylene pipe side and it is not cinching down enough. PB pipe uses a different ring than the pex (same as the go-no go type copper pex fittings). With the Oetiker fittings, the same tool is used on all rings, PEx, PB, 1", 3/4", 1/2", 3/8".

The fitting should be secure and not spin inside the pipe.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
cr8ivrose

It happened on the pex to fitting connections? I have to look up Oetiker and see if that's the same. These rings don't crimp all the way around just the thing that pinches together at the top. I guess I'll do some more looking and see if that's the same rings.
Thanks for the help, I'm sure learning alot!
Rose
saxman14701

Rose
I no longer use pex crimps on any of my water lines. I install all new connections using a compression fitting like Sharkbites or Gatorbites. You simply cut the line square using a pex line cutter and mark a line 1 inch below the end, then push the fitting on till you reach the line thats it. They are a little more expensive then the crimps but they come in a wide range of sizes that fit standard plumbing connections and fixtures. You can also connect different types of tubeing together with them, pex to copper, pex to pex, or pex to CPVC. Plus if you need to rotate the connetion no problem just twist and your done. I installed my water heater with them and no leaks going on 2 years.

Good luck with your project
Chad
RandyD

I've never got the chance to use them myself yet
but keep hearing good things about them:
http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/?gclid ... 3godJGFhMQ
Buy Quality.......Cry Only Once!!!!!
JD
Site Admin

Rose,

Your fittings should fit tight and not spin in the pipe. If they do, you might want to take the fitting with the 2 pieces of pipe attaxhed back to the store and see if they can see what is wrong in the mix. The clinch clamps and fitting pics below were taken from other web sites. I buy mine locally.

As for Shark a Gatorbite fittings, I have recommended them for a long time now. They are excellent for DIY because you do not need expensive tools, they are easy to use and if it is just a repair you will only need a few fittings. They are great for a pro too. I have a huge and heavy plumbing box, so it only goes out on plumbing jobs. But with a few Sharkbite fittings and a couple of Sharkbite valves in my everyday tool box, I can fix leaks and do quick mends on the fly. Later when I go back for a full repair, I can get my bite fittings back with the plastic remover tool. If it is just a small quick fix, I have no problem leaving the bite fitting there permanent. I have not experienced a failure with them yet.

The cost of the fittings is a factor. At 35 cents a SSC clamp compared to 4-5 bucks per bite fitting, the break even point comes pretty quickly (including the price of the tool). As a contractor the bite fittings are just too expensive on big jobs. Copper rings are half the cost of SSC or less. But at that price it takes a whole bunch of them to make much difference.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
cr8ivrose

We ended up getting some sharkbite fittings, much better than crimping! Since this plumbing is under the kitchen sink in view it will be east to get to but my concern is we used the pb to pex adapter but couldn't use the crimp rings that came with it because of the kind of crimper and rings we had so we used those to crimp the adapter and now I'm afraid of what will happen to that connection! Any advice?

Thanks,
Rose
Greg

Rose, If you used the shark fittings, I wouldn't worry about them, If it is a crimp type, as long as it was tight and not leaking after you crimped it I think it will be fine. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cr8ivrose

Thanks Greg, I would never imagined how much I would learn about MHs!
Rose
bguy49

I can tell you what happens if it does not hold! Yes, I had a questionable repair that held for a couple of days and then it just blew off. The water ran for about 2 hr's before I caught it. What a mess!

My advise....If it is questionable....get it fixed correctly! If properly crimped, I don't think it should rotate at all!

Dave