Window Washing

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Maureen

Yep, Those are the style windows that I thought they were. Like Greg mentioned, I bet they used to have the plastic tabs. Those darn things always used to break!

It looks like someone created a metal frame to hold them in place. It looks like that metal frame will have to come off to remove the storms. Yep, it's not gonna be a picnic, but if you have a drill or cordless screw driver, find the bit that will match the screws and take the frame off carefully. Once you get one down, you'll be a pro after that!

Just remember to have one hand on the storm and the other working the last screws out carefully!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi,

Just a thought here but once you get them off to make it easier the for next time you need to wash them is...

Go to your local hardware store and purchase a few rolls of weather stripping, attach it to the frames of the windows. Also get some metal wing nuts and install them to hold the interior windows in place. Your draperies will hide the wing nuts!

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hey Yanita! Great tip! I sat there looking at those screws for a long time and I knew there was an easy solution for them. Just couldn't think of what to use. Wing nuts under the crews. Brilliant solution!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'

my e-mails [email protected] I check it about every other day, If I can help lemme know. Like I said in my earlier post, the first ones the worst. With the exeption of the little nails it was a fairly simple process. All of my frames where pretty sturdy and the screw holes lined up prefectly when I went to reinstall em. I also had a piece of curled up weatherstrip I removed from the bottom of the top pane. It was making it hard to open, so I removed it and shot some silicone in the frame rail as a replacement.