This is wierd...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TonyPa

I know no one likes electrical questions. But I have to ask this.
We stopped up the house tonight. And since we have been working there, but not living there yet, I have kept the hot water tank turned off. I did turn it on for one day, t make sure it worked. And then turned the breaker off to it, "double 30 pull", since it would be a waste to run it for now.
Well tonight, my wife turned on the dishwasher, to wash some glass shades from the light fixtures. I told her there would be no hot water, but go ahead. She opened it up a few minutes later, and told me the water was hot....
I went back, and could hear the hot water tank running. I looked into the breaker panel, and the breaker was still off. I turned the breaker to the dishwasher off, and the hot water tank shut off. I turned the breaker on for the tank, and it turned on. I am confused.
I then turned the hot water tank breaker off, and turned the dishwasher breaker back on, and the tank started up again. I am completely lost.
I opened the panel up. And the dishwasher is on its own breaker. And the hot water tank is on its own breaker. I can tell they added the dishwasher recently, due to the 12-2 line running underneath the belly from front to back. Any ideas? It is odd.
Jim from Canada

Sounds like someone has something mis labeled. An electrician will be able to trace the circuits by finding which breaker is carrying a load when something at the other end of the line is running. That's the best I can figure.

Jim
TonyPa

It very odd. Because both circuits work the tank. I am going to go up there today, and disconnect each one, and see if they work seperately. Might be a bad panel. If so, I guess I will change it.
Yanita

Morning,

Sorry guys but I have to shut this one down. It's not personal, just someone with no knowledge could read this and think they now know what they are doing...

If need be go off site with your discussion.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Tony, this may not be as weird as you think. It is possible that the insulation is good enough to hold the water hot for a day and the noise could be the cold mixing with the hot. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."