Painting ceilings

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bea_foot

I've primed all the ceilings with white Klitz general purpose primer and they look good so do I really need to paint them again with regular ceiling paint or can I leave them as is?
flcruising

Primer is always meant to be topcoated. Paint is not just for color, it is for protection too. Primer offers no protection, but it may not matter to you since it's on the ceiling.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
sd0321

If you are happy with the way it looks, then leave it with just the white primer.... I worked at a True Value for a few years and we could tint primer with color....and when I had a mobile home? I picked out the off white color I wanted for the walls, and then had them tint the primer for the ceiling....and that is all I put on the ceiling was the primer....and it looked great, and then painted the walls in satin in the same off white color. Primer is basically flat white with no color. Ceilings should always be flat paint anyway....(too many people choose semi gloss for everything. Semi gloss is good sometimes for kitchens and baths....but reflects every flaw in the wall or ceiling....eggshell is the best, and satin is second best...) Just my opinion.... :-) Sherry
bea_foot

I guess I'll leave the ceilings as is. It's not like anyone is going to know the difference anyway.
Greg

Just you!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."