Matching Roof Shingles

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Pete

Hi,

We had a bad wind storm that ripped a bunch of shingles off out roof. The house is a double wide with an attic. The company that made the shingles no longer makes this type, so I have to improvise. The local lumber store says it's hard to get 36" shingles since they've all gone to metric a few years ago. The house is 6 years old. Also My homeowners insurance has a $1000 deductible, so I'm on my own.

Is it better to get shingles that are the same color, but a different width or find some that are the same width, but the color is a little off ? The front of the house needs a 10x20 area redone and 6 shingles on the back.

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Pete
tritontr

I would still file a claim with your insurance company and have an adjuster come out and look at the roof. You may have a lot more wind damage then you think. It is possible that shingles that appear to be OK and are laying flat have been damaged. You have to take into consideration that to replace what you can see you may have to go up maybe one or two rows and sometimes this time of year(winter) it is hard to do that without damaging more shingles.
Teatime

I had this very issue in January. Horrible windstorm that ripped off a few sections of shingles and the tar paper underneath them. I'm fully insured (at replacement value, thank God!) and have a $250 deductible. I thought the insurance adjuster would recommend repair instead of replacin the roof but called my insurance agent, anyway.

Surprisingly enough, the adjuster recommended replacing the whole roof AND the storm door and three window screens. So, basically, I got the new roof and the insurance check was enough to cover it.

I really do want to get a new storm door and, oddly enough, they provided ample funds for the roof but are being really stingy on the door, even though I've told them repeatedly that the size of the door and replacement value mean it has to be special ordered. I wanted to go with a screen door that could be cut to fit but they said, nope, I have to replace with the same type of door and quality. I'm still wrangling with them over this. :roll:

Anyhoo, back to the roof, they don't make my exact shingle/color anymore, either, BUT the roofing company brought over some samples of what they had on the yard. If I bought what they had on hand, they would sell me the materials at the same price of what I had. I ended up getting laminated architectural shingles with a 110 mph wind speed rating for the price of the basic 3-tab shingles. They also gave me a 5-year labor warranty. I was thrilled!

There are a number of reasons to call your insurance company about the roof damage. The first is that the damage may be worse than you think and you really don't want roof problems. Secondly, you are obligated by your insurance policy to properly protect the roof right after the damage occurs. If you don't, they won't pay out for roof damage now or in the future. Thirdly, it is a way of covering your bases by reporting it and having them take a look. Again, if you don't or you patch it up, you'll be in a pickle down the road if more damage happens. They could refuse to pay.
Rod

The local lumber store says it's hard to get 36" shingles since they've all gone to metric a few years ago

36" Shingles can be found at Lowes (Owens Corning) and also found a Home Depot (GAF) and many other suppliers.

36" Will be available in both standard 3-Tab & Architectural. Just try to get the color as close as you can. In high wind areas run an extra nail or two through the nailing strip. Look at the manufactures recommendation regarding this.

Rod