Newbie with two questions!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sunbird

Hi to all,
Great to have found somewhere to ask for help----We have a 1980 Palm Harbor, double wide (1) the bedroom wardrobe mirrored sliding doors bottom rail has become very bumpy, and I think needs replacing ---it's very difficult to slide now, where would I order something like that, I've tried around town and no luck.
(2) squeaky floors--what to do about them? Certainly would appreciate any help with these problem.
TIA
Sunbird :D
Greg

Hi & welcome. You could try removing the doors & cleaning the tracks & wheels. It sounds like there may be a little dirt in there. Not sure if the home centers would have tracks & wheels or not.

Floor squeeks are often cured by tightening the lag bolts over the frame rail. give the bolts in the area of the squeek a 1/4 -1/2 turn and see if it helps. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

To clarify Greg's response to your squeaky floors...he is referring to the lag bolts next to the I beams underneath your home. This is best done with 2 people, one inside stepping on the squeaky area, the other under the home.

Also if your floor squeak has just developed it might be due to seasonal shifting of the home, and may dissipate once spring gets here.

I think in our Articles section there is a write up about squeaky floors...If not we do have all this info in our repair manual which can be purchased at our on line store in the BOOKS/PARTS link in the task menu above.You can also get it in the download version.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

I just installed an 8' sliding mirrored closet door that I got from Lowes. I believe it was a Manor Court. Anyways, the track is sold separately from the doors. The track can be cut to size. It uses a standard roller so it would fit most closet doors. You might want to compare what you have to what is at the store. This is a commonly stocked item, but if they don't have it, they can certainly order you one.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Josh-CA

The bottom rail is dirty as was mentioned. Or the screws holding it down may need to be tightened at the same level together to avoid the "bumpy" problem you described. You may have a few screws that are super tight and others that are loose. If that doesn't do it. I have taken the bottom rail out and yeah lol hammered it into flying straight and flat. Then reinstall it. If you bend the snot out of it time to buy a new rail.