Grey pipes

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ancho84

For about 3 months the water pressure in my kitchen and bathroom sink has been really low. Makes it difficult to get anything done, but I hadn't had a chance to fix it. I think the problem has to do with the shut off valves under the sink. If I turn them, they don't stop the water. My guess is the shut off valves have dislodged something into the piping and not letting the water through. This is for both the hot and cold water. Would anyone please suggest anything to fix it and wether I can get the materials at Home Depot or Lowe's. Thanks for your help.
Arlo

If the shut off valves don't stop the water sometimes you can tighten the packing nut on the shut off valve. It's the other thingie on the shut off valve that looks adjustable. I had to tighten mine just yesterday to fix kitchen spigot. Maybe you can google "packing nut" to find a picture. Just be careful to hold everything so you don't twist the grey pipes. My shut off wasn't holding any water back. It took a quarter turn and now it's perfect.
Arlo

Oh and the reason I was fixing sgigot is hot water had no pressure. Inside the spigot a rubber washer had dislodged and was blocking the flow. Replaced it and it's fine. Total repair cost was less than $3 because I bought a bunch of washers. If I had taken the one I had to the store and matched it, it would have cost about fifty cents.
Greg

Hi & welcome. What type of valves do you have? If they are the grey plastic valves, don't mess with them, replace them. Switch to either a brass gate valve or a 1/4 turn ball valve. Stay away from the plastic or a stop valve, they tend to fall apart and cause problems. Any home center should have what you need, stay away from galvanized or black iron pipe & fittings since they tend to rust & corrode. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ancho84

thanks for the reply.
I believe the valves are plastic... I don't know how to replace them, though, where could I find information? All help appreciated.
JD
Site Admin

You can use a Sharkbite or Gatorbite ball valve for the repair. The instructions do not talk about polybutylene pipe, but treat it just like it was PEx in the instructions and it will work fine. Use the plastic insert.

I am sure you will need a 1/2" valve for your gray pipe. From the shut off valve, you can put in the flex water supply line to the faucet. If I remember right, you can go 1/2" FIP out of the valve to the supply line.

Here is a web site that shows the product and if you will click on Shark Bite Connection System on the links to the left, there is a video on how to install and more information. You can buy the fittings at your local home stores though. Lowe's sells Gatorbites and Home Depot sells Sharkbites. They are basically the same product.

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite_ball_valve.php

You can also get a small hand crimper and use regular plumbing materials from Mark here at mobilehomerepair.com. He sells it through the Books & Parts link at the top of this page. I am thinking the Sharkbites will be easier for you to work with.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
shadow745

Greg wrote: Any home center should have what you need, stay away from galvanized or black iron pipe & fittings since they tend to rust & corrode. Greg

This is especially true if you have acidic water, which is caused by low PH. It will destroy galvanized pipe very quickly. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
ancho84

Thanks for your help. I will try what you suggested. Is there an inexpensive tool I can use to cut they grey pipe? Thanks :D
Yanita

How about a hack saw...
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
HouseMedic

These type of cutter work great and are not that expensive.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvccutters.html

You can find them at all the big box stores. Home Depot, Lowes, ect..

Ron