water streaming behind gutters

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Rosemary

It seems that when it rains that water is streaming behing my gutters and flowing straight onto my windows. Does that mean that I need to place sealant into those spaces? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Rosemary
Greg

What type of gutters do you have? If it is just the factory rolled edge that came with the home it is not unusual to have that happen. If you have regulation 3" installed gutters than it may be a downspout is plugged up and needs cleaning. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Barb P

That happened with my brand new gutters. The rain came in, down the channels in the siding, in some spots.
The company came back, and sealed between the gutter and the siding. No more problems.
BarbP
Yanita

Hi Rosemary,

Before we can give you some advice we need to know what type of gutters you have. As Greg asked, are they orginal to the home or the traditional house type?

Thanks,
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Rosemary

My gutters are the original rolled gutters that came with the house. Thanks, Rosemary
Greg

What tends to happen with original type is in anything more than a light rain is they simply cannot handle the volume of water going to them.
Two solutions come to mind, you could add a "deflector plate" to the top of the window a piece of flashing bent into an L shape would get the water awat from the window or you could add 3" gutters to your home, not a hard jobbut does require the use of a ladder to install. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."