Batten Corners

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Denise

Hello All.....I've been lurking for a few years.
I have a question about removing battened inside/outside corners. Will mud (joint compound) work as a filler and then use an inside or outside corner tool to smooth work? I like the look of the bull nosed corners. I hate the look of the two battens butted up to make an inside or outside corner.

I'm getting ready to start a whole remodel job on an 1877 sq ft DW .... so you're likely to see a lot of questions....

Thanks for your advise.
Greg S

If you remove the battens you will have to replace them with a metal corner bead designed to be used with mud to protect the corner and to achieve a straight corner. They are installed with nails or drywall screws and the drywall compound is applied to blend them into the wall.
Denise

Greg,
Thanks for the info...I did some research....I'll be going to Lowe's to check out the corner bead. I'm thinking....MAYBE I'll just do the Living Room & Dining Room areas....LOL :lol: I'm no spring chicken and only going to get minuscule help....

Thanks Again...
yourpcguy73

i hate to sound like a noob but what are Batten Corners that i keep reading about?
are these drywalled corners?
my trailers a 70s so its wall to wall paneling.
lol
Greg S

They are the wood or plastic strips that cover seams and corners of paneling.
In the case of Board and batten vertical siding they are the narrow wood strips that overlap the butt joint between the wide boards.
yourpcguy73

oic
i was thinkin they were a fancy name for trim pieces.