air link in ductwork

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Tim M

Looks like this topic was addressed back in May, but, not sure where I should go. I have noticed that the hallway floor next to my furnace was cold this summer. Crawled under the home to see what I could see. In some of the lines coming thru the belly wrap there was a pretty good 'breeze' felt thru the opening. Should I cut the belly wrap and investigate? That part of the house is pretty close to the ground, so I would have to dig out a place to fit comfortably. I have been suspicious for some time that there might be leeks in the duct work. Any help? Is this a DIY project? I know it's hard to find anyone who wants to work on a mobile home.
Robert

Hi Tim,

It can be DIY if you're handy and willing. Are you in a single, double or triple wide ?

You can check the main trunk line(s) from inside pretty good.

Remove all floor registers first. Then go to one end and lay a

flashlight down in duct aiming toward next register. At next

register, hold a mirror down in duct and look back toward light.

Do this repeatedly from one register to next and you can see the

trunk line(s) pretty good. You can also take digital pics and put on

computer and enlarge for great visuals.

Then, go under and inspect inside belly if needed further.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Tim M

Sounds like a great idea Robert! I have a single wide Fleetwood. 16x80. Is it difficult to see where the duct work connects to the furnace? That's where I think there is a leak. Really appreciate your help. I will check out the rest of the duct the way you mention.

Tim
Robert

Hi Tim,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

You can usually look in the two registers closest on each side of furnace to see the connection fairly decent.

If it is an electric furnace, remove the blower housing assembly and look down through heating elements.

On a SW, you should have one trunk line down middle of home with collars straight up connecting at each register.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?