New Porch

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dandjbarrett

Finally I have loadable pictures of my new deck/porch.

Beginning of construction:

Extra porch we put under roof but is not screened. It is the entry that keeps all the beach sand, etc. off the main porch (and out of the house)

The young man on the left is only 23 yrs old and was the contractor for the project. The fellow on the left is his employee:

VOILA' the finished project!! The porch is freestanding and is connected to the house only by a clear caulkline. It has hurricane protection and is absolutely wonderful. I think that little 23 year old did a good job. My neighbors say if a hurricane comes, the mobile home may take a beating, but that porch is going to stay right where it is. It is 20 feet wide and has a 12 foot depth. I love the vaulted ceiling:

Jim from Canada

Nice!!!

Jim
dandjbarrett

Thanks, Jim. I must give my kindest regards to Yanita for her advice. I had thought about just putting one of those aluminum structures against the back wall, but since we're in a hurricane zone thought better of it (thanks, Yanita). It was a pretty big project and will be the last one we can handle this year. The budget is shot. We put electrical outlets on every wall, two outlets outside and installed a ceiling fan in the apex of the ceiling. The wiring, etc. consumed 1/5 of the cost since we had to hire a licensed/bonded electrician for that. The building inspector had to come out twice to inspect the project -- first for the concrete/rebar and second at the end of the project. As a side note: We'd planned the porch to be 12 feet in depth and its a good thing. The tree in the yard is a protected species (live oak) and we came within 1-1/2 inches of three diameters of the tree. The cutoff for construction is three diameters. This porch adds soooo much living space.
Yanita

Hi,

Wow, that looks great, and the space...I can foresee lots of years of enjoyment out there.

I am really glad that you took the extra time and money to do this project properly, that alone is worth the cash! Sorry your budget is shot but look at the extra things you included.

Thanks for the note of thanks...to be honest that means alot! Now with me in mind go out, sit, relax maybe have a snack/beverage and a good book!

Thanks for sharing the finished project!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
dandjbarrett

Yanita, you are soooooo welcome. I'm also really glad that I ordered Mark's book. I've really learned a great deal. I had no idea it would really turn out to be as nice as it is, but it increased the size of the house by 25%. If someday down the road we ever sell the place, someone could close all or part of that porch in and make a nice addition to the home. I'd rather have the porch and don't have a need for more space at this point, but I certainly enjoy the time we spend out there. I don't think we've eaten a meal inside since that porch was finished. LOL.
mist1953

Your deck is absolutly gorgeous, I'm envious of you. That's what I'm wanting but what's supporting the back of the roof up against the house to prevent it from sagging or falling?? I was told I could not have a 20 foot spand at the back of our deck for the roof overhang without some sort of support other then the two 4x4 outter posts?? We are also getting ready to add a 20X14 deck to the back of our home and I want to add an over hang so we can sit out and enjoy the outside when it rains. I was informed I have to put supports against my home because it is not feasible to have such a large spand. I thought if we run our 4x4's on the back corners up to the j channel and run a 2x10x20 across the back up close to the home that would be sufficent to support the back as the front will be supported by 4-4x4's and front of the overhang. I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly. We would have four supports out front, two on each end and two in the middle or evenly placed across the front and one large brace the 2x10x20 on top of two 4x4 against the back to hold up the cross bracing for the roof (fiberglass panneling roof) that should work????? My husband thinks I'm crazy with some of my ideas but on paper it seems to work.
dandjbarrett

There are actually three support columns across the back. Part of the porch is outside the screened area (about 4 feet wide I believe) and is where the stairs go up. There are two columns there and one more column on the other side. The roof of the porch is just underneath the roof of the house and has the same pitch as the house roof. The support posts are all encased in 18 inches of concrete and rebar which was what the building code required in our area. We have a tin roof.
The support columns and every roof beam are secured by steel clamps that are screwed into the wood (to meet hurricane standards).

We had to submit a drawing to the Building Inspector for approval in order to get a building permit. The deck is built with multiple supports across the front and back (and an access door underneath). The roof is supported by the three beams that are against the house. We then sealed the beams with clear caulk against the house.

We put screening underneath the deck to keep bugs out. It works beautifully. To keep our dog from tearing the screen we stapled hardware cloth all the way around the bottom (about 2 feet high). That keeps her claws from catching the screen when she jumps up to bark at the squirrels.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm totally in love with the porch. It is a real joy. My husband drew the plans and really spent a lot of time planning and laying out the porch. Now he spends a lot of time sleeping in his lounger on the porch. :) :D
mist1953

I see what your talking abou,t at first i did not look at those 4x4's as support post. I hope my deck turns out as nice a yours.
dandjbarrett

I'm sure it will and I hope you'll be as happy with yours as we are. One thing that I noticed with the porches that most of the people in our area did was they enclosed the top area with beams. We chose to leave that part open and screened it all the way from the floor to the peak of the roof. It gives it a more open and spacious feeling. I guess its just a matter of whether you want to put in a dropped ceiling or leave the rafters exposed. We left the rafters exposed.
Jim from Canada

We are all coming over for beer!

Jim