Cleaning vinyl

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mist1953

I getting ready to lay self stick tile from Lowe's and I'm needing a little help on what product to use to clean the floor and take away the high shine on the vinyl that came with the home. I want to make sure the tiles stick. So preparation is a must to do my project right. My husband said I'm on my own so I need your help. There is so many products. What have you found out that works well. I'm tiling over the existing vinyl floor.
Yanita

Hi,

When I did mine, and I used the Novalis brand from Lowe's I just cleaned my floor with a strong bleach solution.

I found the biggest thing with putting down these floors is keeping the floor clean while I am doing the install. Keep a clean dry rag with you to keep wiping the floor as you go.

What brand tile are you using, and have you read the instructions completely before you start the install.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
flcruising

We don't have the self-stick type of tiles, ours is supposed to be glued with vinyl flooring adhesive. But after doing some remodel work, I was told by our warranty guys to use spray adhesive. I found this at Lowe's, and I can tell you that I have no problems whatsoever with them trying to come up.

So even if you have problems later on, this stuff is a great semi-permanent solution.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products ... 7&plid=223
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
JD
Site Admin

I do not install peel-n-stick tiles, but when I lay sheet vinyl over vinyl flooring, I use an embossing leveler to float out the embossed pattern of the old tile. This would leave you a hard flat dull surface perfect for most any adhesive. You can get this stuff in the flooring dept at any home store. Lowes sells an armstrong floor compound that you mix with water. Right next to it is a bottle of Amrstrong latex additive that mis used to make the flooring compound an excellent embossing leveler.

The best part is the embossing leveler is used to keep the pattern of the old vinyl from transferring to the new vinyl.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mist1953

I'm not sure of the name its either Novalis or Cryntel, its the 18X18 size tiles. You can grout between the tiles or leave them as is. The name of the color is Riviera Stone, it is a mixture of light beige's and browns. I now have the white vinyl flooring with black diamonds, it does have a slight dimpling to the vinyl. I don't want to remove the vinyl flooring as to have a little bit of added protection if I develop a water leak and from reading all the post its not recommended to remove the existing vinyl. I just want to make sure when I clean the old floor I've removed the top coating correctly before I lay down the new tiling. Some cleaners just clean and not condition the vinyl.
Yanita

Hi,

I also used the leveler like JD suggested, but make sure to read the instructions on the adhesive.

Yanita
Yanita

Hi,

There is no "cleaning" product that conditions or removes a top layer/coat on vinyl flooring. As JD said in his post you either need to use a embossing floor leveler, or lay luan which will still require the need to use the leveler to float the seems and where the screws/nails are set.

The type of adhesive to use is what the manufacturer suggest in my opinion.

Yanita
mist1953

Thank you for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.
tnt17

mist1953 wrote:Thank you for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Mist, take some pics and post them in the below thread, if you'd like.
viewtopic.php?p=20244#20244
mist1953

You did a really nice job. If it wasn't for our cold winters that's what I'd like to do in our living room and bedroom. We live on 21 acres and we don't have a lot of wind block so you feel the cold. The carpet does help.
steve

I have a concern about laying down a full glue product over a floating vinyl floor. Would you have to worry about buckeling as with wood underlayment ?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

Yeah, I would be concerned with that too. Edge glue vinyl is just too easy to pull up.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.