Ceiling Fans

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hazmatman75

Hello- We own a 1997 Fleetwood Oak Grove manufactured home, series 4683-B. It came equipped with ceiling fans, and the ceiling junction boxes indicate "OK for ceiling fan installation." My issue is the fans that came with the house weigh eleven (11) pounds, and I want to install a 28 pound ceiling fan. Is this advisable? Thank you for your opinions.

Haz
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

I am going to move this to the repair forum so it can get the proper answers.

Thanks for posting on site, although I do not mind getting emails with questions I do prefer that all repair questions get answered on site.

Welcome to MHR.com

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
oldfart

Okey-Dokey....I've just got to ask...a 28lb. ceiling fan...seriously?? Now mind ye Hazmat I ain't pokin' fun...I'm just amazed...28lbs.?? Mind ye I've hung some gawdawful huge ceiling fans..some with 60in. blades and chandeliers dangling off'a them. I never actually weighed any of 'em but...28lbs.!! Jaysusmaryanjoseph! This is the size of a Thanksgiving turkey....and it rotates with wings outstretched! Son...I ain't so sure about this. Are the rafters 2x4's or 2x6's?? Ayre they 16in. on center or 24in. on center? Flat ceiling or cathedral? Drywall ceiling or otherwise? Is this one of them new fans with heat/cooling capabilities? Yes..they have them now. How many watts/amps does this monstrosity draw at "high-speed"? I'm just trying to wrap my age-addled brain around the size of it at present. If it's well balanced and the power requirements are available...and the rafters will support it...mebbe it'll work. I'm left wondering if it'd draft enough air to pull the walls in! And mind ye...I think ceiling fans are the best/cheapest/most efficient improvement any homeowner can purchase. Audie..the baffled Oldfart...
Greg

Haz, if you want to try it, Make a plate that screws onto the box. Add an eye bolt and hang 4 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water. That will give you 28 lbs. See if anything shifts as you do it, If all is solid you should be OK. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Arlo

The first ceiling fan I ever got, back in '82 was about 40 lbs and parts of the body were cast brass! It required a metal chandelier box and an additional hook into the ceiling joist. I had it in a 1908 house. It stayed there when I sold the house long ago. Good riddance. No way would I put up anything that heavy again! Oldfart, the idea of a frozen turkey rotating above my bed really puts that hefty fan in a new perspective. I just put up two 42" white fans that I got at Walmart for $35.00 each. They took about 20 minutes each to assemble and install. They work great, move air and are quiet. I used the old fan boxes that were in place. They weighed very little. I'm a middle aged woman with a bad back and they were a piece of cake!
oldfart

Well folks I want to once again assure Hazmat that I am not poking fun. I simply never handled a fan that heavy. Now I did see one down at Home Depot that might be that heavy. It's an instock item that is decorated with imitation elk antlers and a log centerpiece. I'm dead serious! As Greg mentioned the test with 4 filled gallon jugs will tell you soon enough if the box/rafters will support it. But what about when it rotates? Hmmm? That's a lot of weigh with rotating blades how wide? I'd just be sure and beef up that ceiling as much as possible. Audie...amazed and perplexed....the Oldfart
Harry

Hi

One of my fans is a Hunter and it weighs 54lbs.

It is attached to the ridge beams with lag bolts.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?