Condensation around floor vents when air in running??

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Jenn

Hi...I have condensation around a few of my vents? I was told that it might help to reseal them with silver foil tape? Does anyone know anything about this or how I could go about doing this? Or does anyone else have any ideas about what it could be?
Also, if I turn my thermostat down to like 72 or so, it will stay on for a long time, like its taking a lot longer to cool the house...Please help.
flcruising

Condensation is a natural occurance when a cold object (your vents) touches a warmer object (the surrounding air) in the presence of moisture (humidity).

Mine only does this in two rooms on occasions, that is, the bathrooms when someone is showering.

You either have too much humidity in your air from your a/c short cycling and not effectively dehumidifying your house, the thermostat is set so low that it's running constantly, or your condensate line is clogged and not allowing the humidity collecting on the evaporator to drain out side.

Or if you have a package unit, there could be a rupture/tear in a duct allowing outside air to infiltrate.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Jenn

well the condensation is around the vents in my living room...but no other vents...how do we check the line to see if its clogged? Thats what someone had mentioned about there being a tear in the duct and they said something about helping the problem by putting some silver foil tape down in my vents to reseal all the way to the flex duct but I wasnt sure how to go about doing that??
flcruising

If your vents are sweating, then there's probably no clog and plenty of airflow.

My thought was that you may have a leak on the return side of your air handler that's sucking more humidity in than your air conditioner can remove.

Is your air coming out colder in the living room than in the other rooms?

The clogging I was speaking of would be in the pipe that comes off your inside coils and drains collected condensation to the outside. The pipe breeds mold/mildew to the point of stopping the flow.
Simple way to fix is hook wet/dry vac to the discharge end of the pipe and suck it out.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Robert

Hi,

Remove the register grilles and use a mirror and light to inspect that area of duct down inside and up to grille around the trunk collar connector.

Did it just start this or has it been an ongoing problem ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?