Bathroom Ceiling Redo

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MC24

We've been getting advice form this site for a while now - this is our first post. We're redoing our bathroom. A few weeks ago, the first thing we did was scrape our popcorn ceiling. It came out incredible and we can't wait to the next room!! We've run into a speedbump however. We primed the ceiling with a good primer as there was an old water spot (problem fixed ages ago) that needed covering. It's very hot here in NYS this weekend with high humidity. This morning, we find the primer is peeling off the ceiling. We're thinking either (1) - it's just too humid to expect this to work or (2) should we have wiped the ceiling down with a damp rag (and let it dry) before we primed? Now, to fix this - the whole ceiling didn't peel - but two large areas a stripped - what to do?
Thanx for all your help - we really appreciate it.
Greg

Hi & welcome. What kind of primer did you use? Kilz is about the tops. Follow the manufacturer's recomendation for prep.
I agree, it's HOT & Humid here, 90s and muggy could be a bad combination for painting. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Not sure the weather has alot to do with it as you were inside. I prepped, textured and primes 2 bathrooms walls this weekend here in NC. It was 111* and and 50 percent something humidity.

As Greg asked what did you use for a primer? A paint, prime will only be as good as the prep. I would have to agree that you should of used a tack cloth to remove any dust that was still present from scraping, sanding, etc...

I am going to move this over to the Decorating forum as that is where most of the painting questions/ideas are.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
MC24

We used a Zinsser water based primer - didnt cover the water spot either. Will switch to the Kilz Premier 2 latex (I think that's what I read here) when I figure out what we're gonna do with the two spots that peeled off - they're pretty big. Tried to pick off more - hoping it'd keep coming off but it's not :-(

Thanx for the help - this is our first real indoor project (as you can tell ;-)
Yanita

Hi,

Several folks here swear by Zinsser, but it is not my choice.

Again, peel/scrape off what you can of the Zinsser then prime with the Premium Latex 2 Kilz. Make certain to wipe of the entire ceiling before you apply anything else. Even primer can not stick to dust, dirt, grime, grease etc...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trudi

Yanita was right when she said, "Make certain to wipe of the entire ceiling before you apply anything else. Even primer can not stick to dust, dirt, grime, grease etc..."

If the primer has adhered everywhere but these large strips, it sounds like something was on the surface (in those areas only) that resisted the primer. It could've been something previous owners put on there that isn't showing. I personally wouldn't fix what's working, but concentrate on the problem areas. I would suggest sanding those spots, (to remove what has possibly been applied there) and cleaning well before re-priming.

(For future reference, Zinsser makes a wonderful "bonding" primer (as does Kilz, I'm sure) which goes beyond what the "regular" sealing and stain blocking kind does. This is what's needed when painting slick surfaces, like countertops, floors, cabinets, etc.)