Roof coating (Kool seal, etc) - who has done this?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I am thinking about using an elastomeric roof coating to seal and cut down on the heat. I have a couple of questions for those who have done this.

1. Is it worth the time and cost? Did it actually have an impact on your cooling bill?

2. Is the White or Silver better for reflecting the heat?

3. Do asphalt shingles have to be primed first or can I just roll it on directly?

4. HOW MANY GALLONS does it really take (mine is 16'x76')? Going by manufacturers recommendations, it seems like it would cost nearly as much as a new roof!

5. Any tips? Brands that work better than others? Ones to avoid? Rough cost estimates?

THANK YOU
1989 Fuqua SW
JD
Site Admin

I have been working on mobile home roofs for a long time and I would never put elastomeric on asphalt shingles. I am sure it would reflect some radiant heat away, but you would never make up the cost of the product with energy savings. The elastomeric won't extend the life of your roof unless it is in need of replacing now. In which case, replace it with white shingles. The shingle will expand, contract and warp in time, cracking the sealant around the edges of the shingles. Now you will have little scoops trying to hold water instead of letting it flow downhill. Over time, this will cause leaks.

That is my personal opinion and with that being said, you might want to look http://www.amesresearch.com/ The person that owns this company is one of the founders/inventors of elastomeric coatings. I believe he does have instructions for coating asphalt shingles, but it requires severals coats of different sealants, which they sell. This would make for a very expensive coating job. Probably more than hiring a roofer to install white shingles and you would still have to do the labor with the elastomerics.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

I have to agree with JD, roof coatings are designed to go over metal roofs. I would doubt you would see much difference going over shingles. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mobtek

THANKS a lot for the info. I do not have any leaks or any roof problems. If and when I do I will opt for White shingles.
1989 Fuqua SW