Free standing deck - free standing roof

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

Bought the place a couple years back, and the roof that was over the deck was sagging a plenty. Add to it, the previous owner attached the roof to the house facia boards. (The covered area is 16W by 24L - and he ran a full 16 feet span on 2x4's placed about every 4 feet with 1x2 cross members laying on top to support metal roofing ! )

Note: this is just one area of the deck. The deck spans 56 x16 on the east side and then wraps around the south side with 28 x 12 forming a large "L".

I tore all of the roofing structure off and am ready to re-build. I have figured out post placement to keep all free standing.

However - cosmetically - it would definitely look better if it "appeared" the ends of the rafters were attached to the facia.

I am considering just picture framing around the ends of the rafters so that it looks like it is attached - but in fact is not. It should be possible to allow a bit of movement in all directions and it still look "attached"???

The only scenario I can come up with is if the new rafters start to sag on that end (posts will be about 18" out from the facia)...or if there is some sinking of the deck & posts with the new load on it.

And the other question: how difficult to replace the existing drip edge? The stuff in place has a few holes in the top edge from being lampooned with drywall screws. ( I have issued a decree that the previous builder is to have his Dewalt license revoked ... or at least his battery goes dead! :)

Any insight and suggestions greatly appreciated!

PS - I am an "over builder" so I have the tendency to use a 2x8 even if a 2x6 will do. More is better - right? :)
Harry

Hi Mark440

I've got some ideas but not sure what roof you have.

Can you snap a photo showing the roof edge and facia?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?