a/c drain disconnected, draining on slab

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Rosemary

I noticed that the outside drain for my a/c is not dripping anymore and there is drainage coming out onto my slab. Apparently, the drain must have come disconnected under the house. Will this hurt anything? I cannot even find where to go inside the skirting to check the underbelly of my single wide.
Robert

Hi Rosemary,

Yes, you do not want water/moisture underneath home if at all possible.

What type skirting do you have ?

Can you take a pic of skirting ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Rosemary

It is just your regular run of the mill skirting that I see on most mobiles. I know that there is already water under there on the plastic barrier. Now, of all things, the air is not blowing very cold. It was fine yesterday. I am going to have to call an a/c man now for sure. It is HOT in Texas. Should they wet vac the water up from the barrier or how else do I get the water off the plastic under the MH? Thanks.
Robert

Hi,

For water to be on the underside of bellywrap, water must be inside belly which means insulation is wet.

First, you must solve reason for water.

With unit not cooling now, good chance your a-coil has froze up and when unit shuts down, it thaws and overflows into belly.

That is one scenario that fits your statements.

Once problem is found and resolved, you'll have to cut an X in belly allowing water to drain out.

Then remove all wet insulation, let area air dry a few hours or days, depending on wetness.

Replace insulation, seal belly with belly tape.

Books & Parts link in top blue toolbar , then go to belly repair to find needed items we sell here for that.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Rosemary

Robert,
I really appreciate all of your advice and time spent answering my questions. Fortunately, my A/C IS running cold, I inadvertently switched it to heat (Spazo). Anyway, so far I cannot find anyone willing to come and do the work that will also take care of the drainage below my home and deal with the old water damage. It's hard to find good help around here. Will keep looking for someone. Thanks, Rosemary
Robert

Hi Rosemary,

You're very welcome, happy to help. If you cannot find anyone, maybe someone in friends, family or a local Church can help.

With needed items for the task that can be bought here, it is doable DIY .

Cut the X, let water drain, reach in and pull out wet insulation, allow time to air dry.

Then replace insulation and seal X with belly tape.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Rosemary

Thanks again Robert, I had the drain repaired today. There is water sitting on the cement slab. The repairman assured me that the water would dry up. Will it indeed dry up if it is under the home before mold starts growing? It's awfully dark and sealed up under there. Rosemary
Robert

I would open up skirting with a screened door to allow it to dry quickly.

Also, need plenty of vent space in summer at all times.

Thanks,
Robert
Rosemary

Wow, great idea with the screened door. Never thought of that. When you say need vent space in summer, are you saying that I need to open part of the skirting every summer to air out? Will one opening do or should I have one in front and one in back? Thanks again, Rosemary
Robert

Hi,

You need 1 sq. ft. of vent free air space per every 100 sq. ft. of skirting.

If you have actual vents installed, open them all.

During day, leave screen doors at door openings, at night replace with solid doors.

Keeps it cool and dry underneath.

Robert
Rosemary

Dont have any vents but the skirting has holes from poor weed-eating skills. Does that count??? (joke) Thanks for your help. Rosemary
Robert

Hi Rosemary,

You're very welcome, those darn weed-eaters sure do cause problems with skirting huh .

Spray grass/ground underneath the skirting track and slightly in front of it where you weed-eat with round-up or similar grass killer.

You can get shingles and lay them slightly overlapping one after another around home under the skirting.

Center skirting track on top of shingles.

This will kill the grass and keep it gone from edge of skirting.

Mark sells some tape here in Books & Parts store that works good for covering and sealing holes like that in skirting.

Robert
Rosemary

Thanks for all of your suggestions Robert. I am learning so much here. Rosemary
Robert

Hi Rosemary,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Robert