Coleman #3500-A816...Dirty A Coils

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Melitta

Hi everyone! We are having the same issue with our AC that we have had for the last few years, but we have already hit 100 degrees this year and it is only May! Looks like this is going to be one of our blistering hot summers and I would really like to FINALLY fix the problem we have been having. Our unit works just fine mechanically. Our trouble is our A coils. They are bent and because they are bent, I can't get them properly cleaned. Therefore, we have restricted air flow and trouble cooling the house down. I have been spraying them with cleaner but because of the limited access to the coils, I have not been able to get my hand in there to try and carefully straighten the coils so they can clean properly. My questions are this:

1. Can we cut through the tin casing that surrounds the furnace carefully to create an access door to each side of the coils, so that I can painstakingly straighten and clean the coils? I realize that we will have to cut through two walls also, but we can disguise that. I am concerned that maybe it might create an extra airflow into the furnace and would effect the efficiency of it. I am thinking, cut a reasonable size hole to allow access to the fins, then using the tin we cut out, add hinges to it, making it like a cabinet door type access. Would that work? The unit still blows ice cold, but only 2 rooms of the house have full air flow, the further from the unit you get the warmer the house is. We have practically NO air flow in the master bedroom and bath, which is at the opposite end of the house from the unit. I do remember when we first bought the house, when you would walk by a vent it would blow your hair away from your face, now you have to put your hand within a couple of inches from the vents to tell if it is even blowing or not.

2. If question #1 isn't a possibility, how hard is it to replace just the A coils and were is the best place to purchase them? I have seen them on the Internet and we have a couple of acquaintances that are in the AC business, but I would like to try and do as much of this ourselves to help keep the expenses down. Does replacing the A coils mean the system has to be evacuated and replace with new refrigerant? We moved the trailer a little over 6 years ago and added new refrigerant then, so it's not like, "Oh the refrigerant has been in there forever, might as well replace with new." My brother worked in the AC business for years and I know he can help with the replacing of the coils (if the unit will allow only the coils to be replaced) but at the same time he has been out of the business for years and doesn't have access to parts, refrigerant and stuff like that.

Any advice or information would really be appreciated!
Thanks!
Mark
Site Admin

I'll let Robert answer the specifics of your question, but you didn't say how old your a-coil is. You did say that you moved it 6 years ago.

I personally think that if you went to all the trouble listed above, you probably wouldn't gain a whole lot of air flow since your dealing with an older a-coil that's probably ran its life.

To remove an a-coil would involve removing the refrigerant. Doesn't mean you can't reuse it tho. Not saying that a little won't have to be added. I know that if I went to the hassle of paying someone to remove an old a-coil, a new one would get put back in.

Replacement a-coils can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanAC.html

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Melitta

Sorry...the unit is 15 years old this month.

Which is easier to do...replace the whole furnace or just the A coils? Or are they both about the same amount of work? Would it be worth while to change just the A coils, since the furnace is still in good working conditions?
Mark
Site Admin

A 15-year-old coil isn't worth messing with. If regular cleaning won't keep it working, then its time to replace it.

Most parts are still available for your furnace. If it's working fine, replacing it would be your call.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Robert

Hi,

I would not cut out sides, will create more problems if not done perfectly.

I would replace a 15 year old a-coil before attempting something you will not succeed at.

You'll never get those fins straight enough.

You must be epa certified to replace an a-coil and recover the refrigerant.

We sell them here if needed.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Melitta

Thanks! Looks like we will use our backup window units for this summer and then replace the whole system next January. Thanks Guys!
Robert

You're very welcome. That sounds like a wise choice and plan.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Melitta

OK, hubby and I are thinking that we may just go ahead and change out the A coil now. We are already hovering in the high 90's and have also already hit the 100 degree mark and it isn't quite June yet. I am dreading the rest of this summer.

I am looking on the parts link that Mark posted, but I can't figure out which A coil is for our system. I am finding the 3500 part of our model number, but not the A816. Can ya'll tell me which A coil it is suppose to be? I am assuming that it is suppose to be a 3 ton. Our square footage is 1362.
Robert

Hi,

Look on front facing of a-coil and get the model number or get the model number of outside condensing unit.

Thanks,
Robert
Melitta

OK, I had my brother over this weekend. He used to work in the AC business several years ago. I had him look at our system, inside and outside, and he told me replacing the A coils would be like putting a band aid on the problem. So, we are going to replace the whole split system. I could go with Air Pro here in Central Texas (and the original installers of the system we have now) or I can order a full split system online, have it delivered, my hubby and my brother install it and then pay my friends dad to fill with freon. Of course, I am going to go with which way I can get the best system and save money. What I need to know is what system to get. I need to know what systems are out there today that will replace the system I have now.

One's that I have "guestimated" that would work are,

On ACdirect.com a Coleman complete system 13 Seer 2.5 ton for $2429.70. Would prefer a higher Seer rating and didn't see that any went higher than 13.

On Alpine Home Air website I found a system that would seem like it would work, it is a Goodman 3 ton, 14 or 15 Seer for $3635.84 that includes the indoor and outdoor units, plus many extras, like a new thermostat, filter and stuff.

My Coleman is:
Model #3500 A816
Serial # 930493881
DOE Output is 54,000
Is there a web page that I can punch in that info and it would tell me what newer models of Coleman would replace it perfectly? I really don't want to have to rework duct lines are anything like that.

Thanks for any help.
Robert

Hi,

Coleman only goes to 13 seer for MH's. There are lots of brands units available.

Here is what has to be precise:

The a-coil must fit the space, some a-coils are too large for a MH space.

The a-coil and condensing unit should match with each other.

So, look at any/all matching sets with same tons as now and seer you want and see if the a-coil dimensions fit.

Remember when ordering online that w/o proper licensing by installers, you can be taken IF a problem arises.

I've seen alot of people get ripped due to no license.

Also, alot of warranties are void if not installed by licensed Tech.

Goodman sells alot of units for MH's .

Coleman, Nordyne (Intertherm and Miller), Goodman, are what we deal with mostly.

Coleman and Nordyne has other brands under them besides those listed.

Thanks,
Robert