Buying a new MH

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

garrett_reukauf

Back in Nov '07 we moved into a brand new 3br 2ba Giles MH. We are renting this unit, the property and MH are both owned by a very large property management company based out of Los Angles. When our lease is up we will not be renewing our lease. We are considering the purchase of our own MH, new of course. I know there are many different manufacturers of MH's and they are all pretty much built in the same manner. I was wondering though, with all the attempts to cut costs and build cheaper homes, out of all the MH mfgs which one would be the best as far as durability, structure, and craftsmanship. I want something that is going to last for years to comes, a lot of the homes we have looked at so far just seem so cheaply built. Also, what if any, are some mfgs I should steer clear of.
Land is not an issue, as I have my own land I can put it on. I would have to bring the utilities to the lot since there are none there, and I am in the process of getting all the permits in place to start with the utilities. The MH will be on a permanent foundation with a 4' high crawl space. Once its is lowered on to the foundation it will be there to stay. Of course I need to decide what make and model home I will be purchasing so I can get the foundation work finalized.
What should I look for as far as transport and setup goes. I want someone that is reputable and that will setup the mobile to the exact mfg specs for a permanent foundation. I want it done right the first time. The MH I am in now is not setup to the correct specs, doesnt have the correct amount of supports it should, nor in all the places it should. That is a big reason I have so much issues with doors and windows here. Infact the front door jamb has been so out of whack due to this for so long that mfg will not honor the warranty for the fact it was not setup to their specs.
I know alot of you have been im MHs for many years, and a lot of you have worked on the for many years as well. Hopefully some of you can give some good words so i can head in the right direction.
Thank you in advance!
Garrett R.
Greg

Your best bet will be to compare specs. You have been around here long enough to see what some of the trouble spots are plus you know the problems you are having in your home. Yanita also has a sticky post in the repair section for things to look for.
Go to some dealers ask questions, get some detailed prints. You may end up ordering a home built to YOUR specifications. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

I have bought 2 new homes over the years, different manufacturers each time. Each came with set up instructions, complete with blocking diagrams. The dealer you purchase your home from will typically be the one to hire the moving and set up crew. Nonetheless do your home work on whoever that may be.

Some food for thought...when purchasing a new home I would upgrade to 2x6 floor joist and trusses. Shut off valves, traditional windows, make sure the home has an over hang, proper venting. These are just a few things, others will have more suggestions.

Also you do realize that when you buy the home washer/dryer, stove/fridge and any furniture that is included is part of your mortgage. None of these items will last that long! So I suggest reducing your purchase price without these items and purchase your own.

On a whole we typically do not recommend one manufacturer over another, although folks are welcome to post their thoughts if they have purchased new in the past.

Good luck,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Why am I thinking that 2x6 joists are the standard and 2x8 is the optional Floor joists? One more thing for you to check into! Greg
Yanita

OOPS! LOL, Greg your right, must of not been thinking or it was a typo. My story and I am sticking to it!

On a side note look for RickD profile/posts, he just bought a new home and ordered a bunch of upgrades.

Thanks for the correction.

YAnita
Greg

Must be the storms down there have you rattled, Ya that it! Greg
garrett_reukauf

Thanks Yanita and Greg... As far as the mfg I was kinda leaning towards Champion. I was just wondering if anyone has notice a particular mfg's product that last longer in construction. Champion seems to be pretty good from what I've seen and I will ask Tom about the joist and window options.
Harry

Hi

I like Champion.

Been around 55 years. 31 manufacturing facilities. They have acquired Caledonian Building Systems, Carolina Building Solutions, Commander, Dutch, Fortune, Highland Manufacturing, Homes of Merit, Moduline, New Era, New Image, North American, Redman, Silvercrest, SRI, Summit Crest and Titan.

My MH is a Homes of Merit....which is Champion.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

To me one of the most important things you can do for your home after purchase is PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. Without it about any home will suffer damage.

Yanita
Harry

Hi

Top of my spec list would be plywood floors.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?