Sweat-equity....gettin' out of it more than you put in...

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

oldfart

Folks, so often here I read about folks struggling to do their own work and it makes me think about the value of "sweat-equity." Now, for them folks that don't know this term... it means using yer own labor to get something done and realizing the value of it. Picking up a book or asking questions on how do do this job..or that..and gittin' off our hindermost parts and doing what needs to be done. Believe it or not, at one time, The American Dream wasn't just about owning your own home..it was about building it. Families worked together and cleared fields and farmlands..poured footers and raised walls and shingled roofs together. I still see that great American heritage here today. Rather than ask the bank to hold a ($500,000) mortgage..some folks buckled down and picked up a hammer and saw...hefted up a sheet of drywall and "did-it-thereselves." Nope..it ain't always easy. Matter of fact..it ain't never gonn'a be easy for us in these mobile homes. So what? Bein' the lazy ole coot I am I never cottoned much to taking care of a 5000sq.ft. home. I ain't payin' a $2000 a month mortgage and $2000 per yr. taxes! I've ripped out walls and floors, done plumbing and elec. and worked 16hr. days. In the end...I own it and by gum...I ain't paying a ++++ cent in interest! My sweat-equity is evident. And my hat's off to those who done likewise. Now..buckle on that tool-belt an gitter done! Audie..hackles raised...The Oldfart...
Mark
Site Admin

Hey Old Fart,

Do you like to read Western books? Your writing sounds like language right out of a good ole Louis L'Amour book. I've read about every one of those that I can get my hands on. In fact yesterday I just finished reading 'A man called Noon'.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hey Audie,

Sweat equity...LOL, yup, sure am familiar with that term. I have equity in this home in just the 2 years that we have owned it, or actually took out the mortgage.

BUT, we certainly have alot more sweat equity. Master suite renovation, new doors, windows, Goodman gas pack, pool, decks, potting shed and as of late a new front porch. This does not even count removal of a wall, duct replacement, painting etc...

That's just the actual home, we sit on an acre of land that is slowwwwly getting landscaped. Alot of money already in the ground, plants, trees, water garden, large arbor...LOL, many broken finger nails, dirty knees and a sore back!

Wouldn't have it any other way though. I prefer that Hubby and I do the work, that's what really makes it ours. Now we did have the doors and windows professionally installed, do to our time constraints it was better that way, and we did have a professional install the gas pack for all the obvious reasons there.

We have a 15 year mortgage, great interest rate, and they way I have it figured we should own this place in 7 years! The other one was already paid for....WHAT was I thinking!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Yep...sweat equity, financial equity, pride of ownership...it's all good.

To be honest with you....I'm still into the DIY projects because I can't find anyone reliable, sober and honest with good skills in this area.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
oldfart

Hmmm...? Folks I guess I just went off on a rant there..glad it was well recieved. Sometimes I look at all the work that needs to be done yet and don't notice all the work that's been done here already. At times like that it can git real depressing. I figger I've got at least 1 or 2 years of work left to do. (sighhh..) At present I'm installing two new Pella windows in the wall between the kitchen and bathroom, and rebuilding the wall as well. Hope to have some photos to post on "How to do it" but my digital camera seems to be slow on the flash so the pics are too dark. Grrr..! Gonn'a have to dig up the quartz shoplights and light up the area I rekkin'. Today I've decided to watch it rain..that way I'll know I have the first window (presently installed) properly sealed before hanging the insulation&drywall. "It's not procrastination..it's a cautious observation to avoid any possible problems in the future!"..I told Carol. She ain't buyin' it. Audie...the Oldfart...
oldfart

Hmmmm.....Mark...I writes it like I says it. Drives my daughter nuts. She says she needs a "magic decoder ring" to figger out half my e-mails! HAW!HAW!HAW! And yup...I've read a few of them old western novels. They don't write 'em like that anymore..eh? Sad. Mebbe I should include a "primer" to help folks understand the lingo..eh? (Uhh.. it's pronounced..prim-er, as in prim&proper..not pry-mer..as in paint.) Just to lighten yer day..here's a few I'm larnin' young Bryce Logan! :) "Bein's-as-how"...that means "since". As in.. "Bein's as how this might take a spell..sit back and laugh!" "Rekkin' so" could be a question or an answer to a question...depends on the punctuation. Fer example..."Rekkin' so it'll rain?" "Rekkin' so!" So.."rekkin' so" is asking a question..and a proper answer to the affirmative! "Yonder" is another great word. Yonder means "somewhere other than here." As in.."Fetch me that hammer yonder!"..or..."I'm goin' yonder to the crick." And one of my favorites is..."fixin' to". Rather than waste a lot of syllables announcing "I was just getting ready to...."...we just say "fixin' to". Now ain't that a whole lot simpler Mark? Now a'times we need to vocalize some thoughts while considering the young folks hereabouts. And a good phrase fer that is "CHEESE AND RICE!" As in.."CHEESE AND RICE...I missed that nail with the 32oz Estewing Rip Hammer and just flattened my fingers out like a ducks foot!" Well Mark...I'll leave ye with one of my best ones. "Gammahooched!" This here is a word safe for all, non-offensive and yet understandable. If yer standin' on the top rung of a 36ft. extension ladder with a chainsaw (running) in one hand and you feel the ladder slipping from the tree limb..just yell..."I'm gammahooched..call the paramedics before I hit the ground!"..everyone will understand! Have a good day Mark! Audie..the Oldfart..:)
oldfart

Harry, I know what yer sayin' my friend. Now, first and foremost I'm a DIY'er on account of..well...I'm a tightwad. And like you said, it's hard to find anyone qualified to do the job..or they're so high-priced or backed up with work I'll likely croak before they get to my problem. The ones that can't/won't show up sober don't last long in the repair business in my opinion. And I find some satisfaction in actually doing my own work..shabby as it might be. Another problem I've run in to is as soon as I say.."It's a mobile-home"...they hang up, are too busy, or decline the work for some other reason. I used to take on a lot of side-line work specifically on mobile homes. Not so much anymore. Fact is I could triple what my yearly income is now (and done so in the past) if I'd just take on a few jobs on the side. But...liability insurance is outrageous. And some areas require bonds. To go to Chambersburg and install a new trap on a kitchen sink requires a $500 bond with the Borough. Ain't gonn'a happen. And a plumbing permit....and pay the inspectors for each visit. $75 to inspect the rusted-out trap...another $75 to inspect the newly installed trap. And most of the "inspectors" wouldn't know a sink-trap from a rat-trap. Just jobs handed out to political supporters and their ilk. Not my cupp'a tea Harry. Nowadays when I get a call I just walk in and show the homeowner what the problem is and we go to Lowes and get the parts to repair it. He/she does the work as I watch and ensure it's done right..and I walk away with a thank you and a handshake. I get a lot more satisfaction teaching the homeowners how to do the work themselves...and circumventing the rules..than mere monetary rewards would allow. Now Harry..go ye forth and teach! Audie..the Oldfart...
Trudi

Audie, your outlook is refreshing, especially this: "Nowadays when I get a call I just walk in and show the homeowner what the problem is and we go to Lowes and get the parts to repair it. He/she does the work as I watch and ensure it's done right..and I walk away with a thank you and a handshake. I get a lot more satisfaction teaching the homeowners how to do the work themselves...and circumventing the rules..than mere monetary rewards would allow. "

I wish you lived near me; I could learn so much.
oldfart

Trudi your praise is humbling though not well deserved. M'am, I am but one of many here willing, if not particularly well skilled, to assist when I can. This particular web-site seems to be swamped with folks willing to help at a moments notice. As well, I'll wager there's a lot of folks working to help anyone in need, and they ask not a sheckle for their efforts. From advice.. to a shoulder to cry on ..a prayer sent...to showing up in a time of need. And yet I count myself the least gifted amongst these men and women. I do thank you just the same. Most humbly yours. Audie..the Oldfart..
Trudi

Audie, you're certainly right about the readiness to advise from the helpful folks here, but I was referring to what you said about showing a person what the problem was, going to Lowe's with them, getting what they need, then showing them how to fix the problem. THAT's why I said I could learn so much if you lived close by. I can be pretty dense at "hearing" (or reading) sometimes, so a hand's on, visual demonstration is often what I need. So I beg to differ; I think my praise IS well deserved. :lol: By the way, have you ever been a writer?