Footings/Piers ?????

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hadsgirl

We are newbies and are purchasing a used double wide to have moved on to our property. We have the installation manual and are going through the county process to get permit. In the manual it mentions 28 day compression strength for the concrete for the footings..... what does that mean? Does that mean I have to wait 28 days to have the home set after I have the footings poured? Also, where or how do I find out what the roof load bearing number is?

Thanks,
Carolyn
Harry

Hi

There are different concrete mixes. Each mix has a different compressive strength.

Concrete usually attains about 90% of its compressive strength after 28 days....of curing.

My roof numbers are on a sheet glued to the wall in my pantry near my fuse panel.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Hi & welcome. The sheet you are looking for is the HUD sheet, As Harry said they hide them in the master closet & the breaker box cover are the two most common. but I have heard of them in kitchen & bathroom cabinets & near the water heater. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Hadsgirl

So does the 28 day compression thing mean I have to wait for 28 days after the concrete is poured?
Greg

Your best bet is to talk to the codes officer, it is far easier to ask questions BEFORE than to redo something after. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
steve

28 days is the time it takes concrete to reach minimum strength and is the standard for core testing, however you can usually put full weight on "in ground piers" within 2 or 3 days. Talk to your local inspector for rules for your area. When pouring concrete, be careful of the "slump" or how much water is added. The less water added = stronger and faster setting concrete.
Hadsgirl

Thanks to all for your replies...appreciate the help.

Carolyn