Water Pressure Problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bqz

Using shower and the water just cuts off ,like no pressure and then it starts working again (about 30sec later) but on the other end of the house the sinks work fine.
This happens every time we use it ,so what's the problem??

Pressure switch not kicking on until tank is empty?

Also ,I have been working on all the lines,replacing just about every elbow in the place, seems to be a lot of air in the lines.
I wonder if this isn't just caused by turning the water off all the time to fix connections?The air problem that is,still not sure on the pressure thing.
What do you all think is going on??
Greg

OK, the air would clear it's self after a few minutes.
Now the sink at the other end works fine even as you are have a problem in the shower? If so I would look for a blockage that is floating in the system at that end of the system. possibly in the faucet. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
steve

I agree with Greg...sounds like blockage.
Shut off water
Remove shower valve stems
Turn water back on in short blasts to remove debris
Reinstall valve stems
Turn water back on and WALLA...fixed
shadow745

Yeah I agree that it might be blockage if you have been doing work in that area.

On the other hand you also want to make sure the pressure tank/switch are working right. Your air in the tank should be exactly 2 lbs. less than what the cut on setting is. For example, if you have the switch set at 40/60 then you'd need 38 lbs. in the tank to make it work right. Even 1/2 lb. too much or less can make a difference. I installed a liquid filled gauge on my pressure tank setup so I know exactly where it's kicking on/off at. Another thing I've noticed is that when the ambient temp. raises and lowers it alters the air in the tank. Most people have them under the house, but ours is at the head of the well and is covered only by a fiberglass cover and the temp. inside it can change during the day. As you probably know air pressure increases with higher temps.

You also want to check the nipple (if it's there) that connects the pressure switch to the main brass piping that is on most well setups. That nipple can clog and cause a drastic on/off effect. Debris can also enter the bottom of the pressure switch and buildup around the diaphragm, causing improper pressure readings. Just a few thoughts. Later!
Harry

Hi

I agree with Greg.

The fellow down the road had a similar problem.

Turned out there was a big ball of slime in the line.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?