Killing boxelder bugs

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Mark
Site Admin

Does anyone know of a spray that actually works to kill boxelder bugs? I bought a spray that listed boxelder bugs on the label, but the spray did nothing. Maybe I was suppose to smack them with the can! LOL. Anyway, I've got hundreds of them on the south side of the store.

My sister also has boxelder bug problems at her house, and she finally resorted to hiring Orkin to come out every other month. That worked.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Harry

Hi

Here's a link: http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/boxelder.htm

Says the best way to rid them is a vacuum cleaner.....

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

I was wondering about a strong soap & water mix. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Mark, A buddy of mine use to have those by the hundreds and the best thing he found was the vacuum. He tried all of the other sprays and tricks but it did not work.
Good luck,
Ron
Yanita

Hi,

Dumb question to some I am sure...BUT, what do you do with them after you get them in the vacuum?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

I would take a "green" approach.....no poison involved.

If it were me I'd take the vac bag out to my burn pile..put lighter fluid on it and strike a match. Then I'd listen for their little screams.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

LOL, that would work, but I have bagless machines....

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

These box elders are really hard to poison.

I'd empty your bagless machine into a bag and proceed with the fire.

Harry
Last edited by Harry on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
cxjon

i bug bombed my basement and then i used a vac for the aftermath
Mark
Site Admin

Could throw a bug-bomb in the vacuum bag. Thought about using a shop vac. Guess I could throw a bug bomb in the shop vac when I'm done. LOL.

Whole vacuum thing sounds stupid to me, but I may just try it anyway. If it don't work, it won't be the dumbest thing I've ever done. LOL.

Mark
Harry

Hi

My bride says a loud radio will keep them away.

Rap music seems to work the best.

Harry
Mark
Site Admin

During the warmth of the afternoon, those bugs are really spread out, so vacuuming would be about pointless along a 100' building. Maybe in the morning they'll be more bundled up.

I also tried to call and talk to tech support of the bug killer I bought. Of course had to leave a message, so we'll see if anyone calls back. Kind of urks me that boxelder bug is listed on the label as one of the bugs it kills. Yet it don't phase them, unless I'm doing something wrong, like maybe not applying enough. So we'll see if they call back. If not, maybe I'll try calling the phone number listed for 'medical emergency' or 'product spill'. But someone would answer that phone! LOL.

Mark
Harry

Mark

How about a DIY Flame Thrower?

Harry
Greg

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! I thought you were renting the store. Contact the owner, let him deal with it! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Ms Rose

Westlies bleach white found at walmart, great for cleaning tires and awesome at killing those little things. the bugs are also attracted to warmth so you can find them gathered on warm surfaces. A while ago a friend had a tree removed, the next summer literally thousands where in the stump area. He dumped a 1/2 gallon of gas and a match on them. the next day it seemed like 1/2 lived. Next was a small ammount of Westlies and they where gone.