Doors - thinking outside the box

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

We get our best ideas for products right here from conversations with our visitors. So time for anothing brainstorming session.

Today I open up our Menard's flyer and find on sale paneled steel exterior doors for $99. Meanwhile, the simple outswing (backdoor) for a mobile home has now surpassed the $200 price tag in many markets. Soon an outswing door will cost you what we were selling combination doors for a few years ago. It's crazy!

Maybe I'm off my rocker, but I think there has to be another solution. Unfortunately mobile homes require a bunch of different door sizes, and that don't help keep the manufacturing costs down. If a manufacturer could run one size, you'd see these doors cost way less. But that's not the case.

Outswing doors are simple for the homeowner to install. They basically install just like windows. Simply screw the frame to the wall. Don't get much simpler than that.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has ever stumbled across another type of simple door that would work (meeting HUD codes will have to be figured out later). Many of you are buying the $99 (Menards) inswing doors and enlarging the opening or cutting down the door. Can't blame ya.

Anyone with ideas, thoughts or words of wisdom, I'd sure be happy to hear about them. I'd like to figure out how to offer a door to the public that doesnt' require taking out a second mortgage to pay for!

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Greg

Let's seeYou could sell a full size door, 2x for new header & frame AND the saw for less than $200! The shipping may throw it over though. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
oldfart

Hmmmm? Wish I had an easy answer fellers..fact is I don't... other than ripping the opening big enough to fit a standard size door. A while back I fit 2 new doors on the neighbors 12X70 s.w. and he wanted steel doors. He went thru Lowes and had 2 doors "cut-down" to fit. Arrgh! It cost him $500 per door! EACH! Mind ye that was the cost for 2 doors down-sized and delivered..not installed!! I did the job fer free on account of I use his shooting range about every week. I'd hate to think what a real carpenter would'a charged. Now, queer as it might seem, he had both doors cut down for security reasons. "I want steel doors..no junk wood doors!" Both doors have windows in. (Duh?) Give me 1 beer and an ice-pick and I could be in his house in under 10 seconds and nobody within' 30ft. would even hear the glass pop. Even without the glass windows in a steel door, I'd wager my entry time would be under 30 seconds and all I need is a "kittens-paw" or a "cats-paw" prybar. (TrueValue Hardware/Lowes/Home Depot...$7 to $15) Now if the door frame was solid (usually they ain't..) and I wanted to spend a bit more I'd opt for a 36in. crowbar ($20) and just pull the entire door-knob out with little more effort than opening up a beer. POP! I'd be inside. Hmmm? Dead-bolt locks? Gimme another 20 seconds and I'll pop that bad boy. A "cats-paw" and a tap with a plastic mallet....BING! Gone. Not much noise and easy access. Steel door security...I don't think so. JMHO of course. Audie..the Oldfart....