Got sick from Mineral Spirits,Brush Cleaner

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

Yesterday I had dried latex paint on my hands, so I used some Mineral Spirits to wash it off.

Didn't use much, but I must be sensitive to it and it immediately went into my blood stream. WOW!

Weak, dizzy and slightly disoriented for hours. Blood pressure dropped way down.

It wasn't till hours later that I figured out what happened.

Yes yes, I know, I should read and heed the warning labels, but real manly men are stupid sometimes. Like me.

Not everyone is bothered by this stuff I guess, but I am. Talk about scared. Manly men don't call the doctor or go to the emergency room either. They just wrap up the stump of their arm and keep on going.

Women are a little smarter I think. At least this is what my wife says.
Ha ha.

Wear rubber gloves next time she says. DAH (Slap head with hand).
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

It is hard to say what got you the most, the skin contact or the fumes.
It's funny how things effect differently as we get older, or we just get smart enough to figure out that it is in deed effecting us. I USED to paint cars with no mask when I was in school, now just filling the spray gun with no resperator gives me a headache. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Sorry you were feeling poorly. Yes, men not reading directions seems to be common place throughout the world. Sometimes I wonder how this comes about. I pretty good about reading directions so I wonder why my sons have the non instructions infliction??? Mother's are typically responsible for most of the raising of the kids....

Anyways, you said this was dried latex paint...latex is cleanable with warm water and soap. Next time just use a stiff nail brush with the soap and water...no chemicals needed.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

Yanita, you are so right, but it was more expedient to do it out back because there is now water out there.

Men are supposed to be the hunters, gatherers "and assemblers", and to admit that we don't already know how something has to be done shows we are weak.

'"I am man, hear me roar, cause I just slammed my finger in the door".
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

ROFLMBO!!! Thought it went I am WOMAN hear me roar!

You have a great day!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!