Heat pump upgrade?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

rlring

Have Intertherm 4 ton split system. All electric. 1996 model. 28x66 DW. Looking to upgrade to heat pump system because of efficency factor. Electric heat is eating my budget up...

Have had multiple hvac contractors out to estimate cost of replacement. Was told because of static pressure would have to either keep my intertherm air handler and add new heat pump/coil but best seer would be 13? Have had several try to sell me new coleman air handler with goodman HP. Trane said they could replace whole thing with variable speed air handler with seer up to 19 but they were very pricey.. and would have to enlarge area where unit is inside. Higher the seer the bigger the air handler apparently. This leads me to several questions:

Has anyone done the hp/coleman-intertherm mix?
Did I read somewhere that goodman makes a air handler that will work in down draft for MHs?
What is the average life span of a intertherm air handler?
Where could you obtain info on how to wire up thermostat etc to make it all work?
Will HP make enough difference at 13seer to make a difference?

Sorry lots of questions but just trying to get best deal for my dollar. Seems most are looking for work right now, guess housing lull has them all hungry. Have Carrier man coming in the am will see what he says.

Thanks in advance..
Robert

Yes, you can have Inetertherm-Coleman mix, it's done alot.

Not sure if Goodman has a downflow unit, but can check if needed.

Lifespan varies depending on installer capabilities and homeowner maintenance. Could last 10, 15 years or more.

Best to allow installer of unit(s) to also install compatible t-stat.

Depends on electric rates as a heat pump runs year round and also on local weather patterns as to whether it is best.

Heat Pumps have to have back up heat is most locations.

Air handler or furnace must have a blower motor to be compatible with mobile home duct systems (static pressure).

All of this is best answered and handled by installer in a before job consultation.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?