Long-term Temporary Roof Repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AmericanaMan

:D I'm back! Snow plowing and shoveling season in Nebraska has subsided for a bit. I noticed some crack lines in my roof coating and there are some signs of leaking inside (rippled wood paneling). The coating is about 3/8 inch thick. I want to repair the roof soon in about 20 +/- 10 degree weather. Few questions for the experienced: 1) I am thinking of White Elastomeric Roof Coating with or without some fiberglass repair strips. I think I used something called Kool Seal before without any strips or anything, but can't find it. Any thoughts on using and the best way to use this Elastomeric Roof Coating? (2) I am leary getting on the roof itself, any ideas on accessing the roof without putting too much weight on it? and finally (3) Should I remove the old coating first? Any thoughts? :roll:
Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

Sorry, but if memory serves me right, you can't apply the White Elastomeric Roof Coating until temps stay above 40 or 50 at night (I'm thinking 50 degrees). We're way too many weeks away from that happening yet!

One thing you could do now is apply some Neoprene sealant at any seams or cracks. It's best applied if the roof is dry. http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/neoprene.htm

Repairing the roof without actually getting up on it will be about impossible.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hi,

Many folks use a piece of plywood up there to stand on, it disperses your weight. Just make sure that it doesn't slide off. My hubby used a sheet of plywood cut it 1/2, and then attached a rope to each sheet to be able to move them around where needed.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
oldfart

Americanaman allow me to intruduce my self. I'm Audie..the Oldfart. I weigh 250lbs.....somewhat more with a tool-belt strapped about my ample girth, 52 yrs. old and stand about 6ft.3in. when I can git all the kinks out of my aging back. I've spent a lot of time up on the roof of my old trailer spreading various coatings and making some attempts at improvements. For all their faults these simple homes do seem to stand an awful lot of weight on their roof. Go figger? Mine has 1 1/2 X1 1/2in rafters..with lots of gussets. Most chicken coops have better rafters than this..but they seem to hold up. Just be sure when yer up there to look for the ridges where the rafters actually are and only step there. Never step between the rafters! Using a 1/2 sheet of plywood is a good idea to disperse the weight. I've never done it..probably should. My only concern would be the plywood sliding down the roof.. in which case you're on a bob-sled. How high is the roof above terra-firma? Do you bounce well? Another thing to keep in mind is, as the rock-climbers always advise, use 3 points of contact. When up on my roof I never set all my weight on 1 rafter. Left foot on 1 rafter..right foot on another and 1 free hand on a 3rd. rafter. This distributes my porcine weight over 3 different rafters and thus far has allowed me to walk (crab-like) end for end on my home. I'll let you know more about the elastomeric coatings this spring when I daub it on. Until then my friend...be safe. Audie..the Oldfart.
AmericanaMan

:) Thanks you all. Bob sledding does sound fun! My roof is relatively flat though so the plywood sounds like a real good idea. Might have to look to some other coatings though. I don't think I can wait til Spring. Listen to ya later. Americanaman