Register>Return?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Dirty White Boy

OK, I have a basic kero furnace with the return on the front of the unit in my MH. I have a total of 9 4x8 registers throughout. I also have a huge vent in my living room floor, prolly 15x20.
I have central air that was added a few years back.
I personally thought, from the size, it was a return. Then I figured it was a register for the AC but found out different.
There is a small amount of air that comes out while the heat is on but I def. would not call it hot air.

WTF is it?lol

Would they really make a register that my lil blower motor has to push air through a 12 inch hose as well as the normal system? I can't exactly see where it is hooked up to since one side of the trailer has a huge deck and the other side has my kero tank and central air unit right at the good vantage points...

If this is just a register and I cover it up, would it increase the efficiency of the rest of the air?
Robert

Was it there before the a/c was added ?

Is your a/c a self-contained/packaged unit with all a/c parts in one unit outside ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Dirty White Boy

I just bought the place...I have no idea if it came factory or added later.

The AC unit is the standalone setup outside...
Robert

Look under home and see if it and another duct go to outside unit. If your entire a/c system is outside, it is the a/c return.

By entire unit, I mean the evaporator coil is in outside unit also instead of being under your furnace inside.

Also, if this is the case, you should have two close off dampers.

One under the furnace and one in the supply duct from outside unit where it connects to main duct trunkline.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Dirty White Boy

Alrighty then...

Was underneath today and noticed how it's set-up. Raises more questions though. The return in my LR floor goes to the unit outside, then another hose comes out of the AC unit and ties into the existing ductwork...

So, when I'm running my heat, how much heat get's lost in the outdoor ac unit? It's not hot or anything but not cold to the touch either, which considering it is about 22 degrees It should be freezing.lol
Robert

Hi,

That is where the two close off dampers come into play.

You should have one under your furnace to keep cold a/c air from coming up into the furnace heat chamber, the cold air will quickly rust out heat exchanger. It also prevents lost/wasted cold a/c air.

Then, another one in supply duct at connection to trunkline, it keeps heated air from being wasted by going down supply duct to a/c.

If yours does not have those, you should get that done asap.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert